Acropolis and Walking Tour


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
June 6th 2006
Published: June 6th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Olympic StadiumOlympic StadiumOlympic Stadium

5 of us in front of Olympic Stadium, admiring the amazing structure
Its about 3:30 pm on June 6th, and KJ, Megs and Als are off to start their Acropolis walking tour (Yes, they arrived safely and are so far enjoying their adventure!).

Jeanna, Aisha, Aditi, Jessica, and I (Melissa) started off around 9 am with coffee/coke to start our 20 min walk up the hill to the Acropolis. The Acropolis is currently under restoration but there was still plenty to see. Luckily, we went at a time before the droves of tourists came in so we could really take our time to view in awe of buildings that have been around since B.C. We met two groups of Minnesotans while walking around and tried to pick out our hotel from the spectacular view of the mountains, sea, and Greek architecture both new and old. The Parthonan still stands tall, although under construction is being built back to its former glory!

After sighting the Acropolis our 12 Euro ticket gave us admission to many other sights, which we decided to explore, including the Theatre of Dionyssos which held over 33 staircases to be an amazing show back in the BCs/early ADs. The temple of Zeus was our next stop which stands
Aisha and Melissa AcropolisAisha and Melissa AcropolisAisha and Melissa Acropolis

Aisha and Melissa enjoying the Acropolis
tall with columns and you can imagine what it would be like to have worshiped Zeus there. We continued our walk with a stop at the Olympia Stadium which has been restored for the 2004 Olympics but has been around since ancient times. Our adventure then lead us to the National Garden which houses Zappion with its beautiful Gardens, Monument of the Unknown Solider and the Parliment building. A break was needed so we stopped at a local Cafe for Greek Salads, feta chees, olives and ice tea. Afterwards we ventured back towards our hotel through Syntagmatos square down the Mitropoleos ending at Mitropoleos square where there are vendors waiting and wanting to sell everything and anything.

As Kelly, Megs and Aliya head out to view the Acropolis despite being on a plane for the last 24 hours the rest of us are enjoying the splender of the rooftop of our hotel, writing postcards, reading, and resting. Tonight we are going to enjoy the local culture around Mitropoleos Square, with our first ferry adventure at 8 am tomorrow morning to Milos!!!

The history of Athens is plentiful and the influence of Alexandar and other great leaders, and seeing
Watching a ShowWatching a ShowWatching a Show

Watching a show at Theater D
the areas where St Paul originally preached Christianity is amazing. Makes you really take a step back and be thankful for your life, but realize your footprint is small but you are the one who changes your footprint. Especially, when it comes to saving electricity the hotel only has the lights to your room on when you are in it with the room key card! (Makes the refridgerator a bit difficult to use!).

I should also note that the sun burned bright all day, and we remained hydrated and full of sunscreen but definatly are starting to look like we have been on vacation!

Well, I am off to go sit on the roof and read.

😊 Luv, Melissa

PS Thanks for the great comments everyone its nice to hear from you!





Advertisement



6th June 2006

jealous
I seriously don't think I can read this anymore. . .makes me too jealous.
7th June 2006

Sounds like fun
Sounds like you are all having an awesome time. Mel, I can't wait to see all of your pics and video!
7th June 2006

What Up?
Man, I wish I was there! I love the picture of the Acropolis at sunset. Be safe!!! I know you guys are kicking it and having fun, but remember Americans are not the most popular people around the world. Even pretty ones like you guys. Later.
7th June 2006

Mom
It has been a ton of fun to read the blog. I love the pictures! It sounds like everyone is having a great time. Enjoy!!!
7th June 2006

Walking History Book
You guys are living a dream most of us only read about. I'm learning so much from your adventures. Keep us posted. Love ya, Karey
7th June 2006

Hope you are having fun!!!!
I hope you are all having a wonderful time.... wish I was there to see all the sights but I guess I will jsut have to read the blog. Enjoy every moment. Love,MOM

Tot: 0.313s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 10; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0778s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb