The Sight of Ancient Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
August 12th 1990
Published: October 27th 2010
Edit Blog Post

The AcropolisThe AcropolisThe Acropolis

The centre of ancient Greece
There was absolutely no tourist information in Athens, and you were basically left to wander around lost. The Acropolis is, fortunately, on top of a hill so you can eventually spot it and then head in that direction.

It cost an absolute fortune to get in and it wasn't worth it. Mind you, it would have been a waste to go to Athens and not go in as there was nothing else of the same standard to see elsewhere. I was also a bit gutted, as this was the first time that someone rejected my long-expired international Student Union card. I should have got one of the fakes in Bangkok.

Wandering around the Acropolis, I met the two guys that I’d been playing cards with the night before. They were also questioning the logic of travelling all the way to Athens and were considering going to Istanbul. They invited me to tag along.

Travelling on your own may be lonely at times, particularly in the evenings, but more often than not you are travelling with other people anyway. It has the advantage that when you no longer want to do the same thing, you can just go your
Acropolis BuildingsAcropolis BuildingsAcropolis Buildings

Other buildings around the main Acropolis
separate ways without having to come to some compromise.

The Greeks on the train to Istanbul were true to form. We all got comfortable and then some Greeks got on and demanded that we let them have our seats. We refused, which obviously came as a bit of a culture shock for them. After a lot of shouting, they eventually stormed out and started to pick on the people in the next compartment, just in time for some more to come in and start on us again.

There was one Greek woman in the compartment who was praying, very loudly, throughout the journey. We can't have been that bad, surely.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Acropolis BuildingsAcropolis Buildings
Acropolis Buildings

Other buildings around the main Acropolis
Acropolis BuildingsAcropolis Buildings
Acropolis Buildings

Other buildings around the main Acropolis


Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0357s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb