Athens 2 and 3 May 2009 -Days 8 & 9


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
May 3rd 2009
Published: May 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

Ben and RobsonBen and RobsonBen and Robson

Our visit to the Acropolis.
The Economy Hotel where we stayed is a quite nice budget hotel, situated downtown, very close to the town hall. There is just one rule to observe: don't go in any of the small streets at the back. During the day you might simply be frightened, during the night, well we didn't try...

Athens is too well known for us to comment here about the beauty of the Acropolis, the magnificence of the Archaeological museum or the quietness of the Agora. Suffice to say that we enjoyed it all very much. A few pictures will help testify our enthusiasm.

What was especially nice is that we spent some time with our friend Panos.
On Saturday night he brought us to places where few tourists go. Psiris, that's how the area is called, is absolutely packed with locals. This was an opportunity to see the other, more contemporary face of that great city. It was rather chilly, but everybody sits outside and we were assured that it is the same in winter. We finished the evening quite late at one of his favourite bars.

On Sunday we met Panos again and visited the Acropolis. It is a different story
CaryatidsCaryatidsCaryatids

In the temple of Erechtheion.
to have a local guide. Our way to the site was through the back roads, through the area called Plaka. After the visit we sat down, had lunch, another friend of his joined, and we had a relaxing day drinking wine and chatting. After saying goodbye the them we went to a cafe called 'Chocolat' trendy area of Plaka again and enjoyed gorgeous Greek desserts.

Tomorrow morning we leave Greece to Russia. We will arrive in St Petersburg late at night. We just feel sorry that everywhere we stop we cannot stay longer. Greece also was such a great experience. The ancient and modern sites, the kindness of the people, the food, the sun, the landscape, it is all jaw dropping. The highlight was taking the bus to visit the Monastery in Dafni, east of Athens. A small little monastery with fantastic mosaics that has been standing on the side of the road from Athens to Eleusis ever since ancient times.




Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

CaryatidsCaryatids
Caryatids

Closer look.
The AeropagusThe Aeropagus
The Aeropagus

It is claimed that this is the exact birth place of democracy.
PlakaPlaka
Plaka

This is the nice path from the other side of the Acropolis.
Hadrian and AntinousHadrian and Antinous
Hadrian and Antinous

From the Archaeological museum.
Having LunchHaving Lunch
Having Lunch

Aris, Panos and Ben.
Walking in AthensWalking in Athens
Walking in Athens

Panos, Aris and Robson


Tot: 0.157s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 16; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0694s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb