Walking Tour of Athens


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
December 29th 2008
Published: December 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Athens Walking Tour


Hadrians ArchHadrians ArchHadrians Arch

Marks the division between the city of Theseus and the city of Hadrian
Today we were graced with a second rainless day, so we decided to set out on a walking tour of Athens.

First stop was Hadrian's Arch. The architecture on this arch is very cool. The bottom of it is built in the style of old Grecian times, while the top portion is built in the newer roman style.

Next we stopped at the Temple of Zeus and saw the 15 standing columns. 1 column fell in a great storm in the 1800's... Must have been one hell of a wind storm.

Right next to the Temple of Zeus is the ruins of what looks like an old town. We visited that and then took a b-line to the Olympic stadium (originally built in the 4th century AD, from solid marble, and then rebuilt in 1896 for the first modern Olympic games. The stadium is still in use today - it was even used in the 2004 Olympics).

After that we took a walk through a large park filled with all sorts of animals (goats, pigeon's etc.). We then walked to the Parliament buildings and watched the scandilously clad guards do a funny walk.

Next, we cruised
Temple of ZeusTemple of ZeusTemple of Zeus

Or what is left of it after two thousand odd years.
through Syntagma square and then had a beer at a local coffee shop. The good local beer is called Mythos.... the bad local beer is called Alpha.

We concluded our tour in the shopping square near the Acropolis and then headed back to the hotel for a nap. The jet lag is still killing me. This morning I got up at 3 am and couldnt get back to sleep. Of course I was dead tired at about 6pm.

Until next time.
Mike


Additional photos below
Photos: 12, Displayed: 12


Advertisement

The GangThe Gang
The Gang

The Gang at the Temple of Zeus
The Gang Part 2The Gang Part 2
The Gang Part 2

Everyone looking down onto the village ruin below
An Olive PatchAn Olive Patch
An Olive Patch

Starring Nick and Ray
Another Ancient BuildingAnother Ancient Building
Another Ancient Building

Can't remember its proper name.


Tot: 0.043s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0243s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb