Two old turkeys in Greece


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
September 19th 2008
Published: October 9th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Lufthansa treated us wellLufthansa treated us wellLufthansa treated us well

I admire these giants but do not enjoy the long flights.
That title line is probably old and sick but I use it anyway. Unfortunately, we are home without having been able to post any blog information because we simply could not arrange the download of pictures that I would have liked. So, I'm going to build that journey in 2 or 3 day stages, by locale, as we visitied Athens first, then hopped islands, then returned to the mainland for a 2nd 4-day tour. In broad terms, Greece is everything you dreamed of and more. Sometimes the more is not as enjoyable as the dreams but for thousands of years it has been a stomping grounds for various civilizations and conquering nations. Thus, as we visited archeological sites and museums under the direction of excellent guides trying desparately to give us our money's worth, our heads were filled to overflowing with layered centuries blurring often with the identifiable features and developent of all. What is so apparent is that this environment gave rise to astounding human endeavor. The Greek Mythology motivated each early generation and century until other religious influences took precedence. Battles between different powers and that kind of destruction combined with effects of the forces of nature including earthquakes and volcanoes brought many distinct changes. The Greek fabric is woven with all such stuff and visiting for three short weeks can only ignite one's curiosity. No wonder the arts thrive in that environment. I'll try to give just a few pictures that trace our paths and reflect a few of our feelings.

We were here in the shoulder season. There were hoards of visitors even so. Athens has somewhere between 4 and 5 million residents and the country has about 11 million in total. They receive 16 million tourists a year. I am a people person but those crowds were at times a bit much


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Roasted corn vendor at the bus tsop.Roasted corn vendor at the bus tsop.
Roasted corn vendor at the bus tsop.

Reminding us of sweet corn we had just left at home, but we never did try this street variety, found everywhere.
Out AdventuresAbroad Tour GroupOut AdventuresAbroad Tour Group
Out AdventuresAbroad Tour Group

For our first get-acquainted supper in Athens. Right-front is Matea, our young female director from Vancouver, Canada, Croation born. Others are Jim, Kristi, Chuck, Caroline and Judith.
The other half of the table The other half of the table
The other half of the table

Don, Rose, Arlene, Janet, and Bev who is Jim's wife.
The Acropolis attractionsThe Acropolis attractions
The Acropolis attractions

I think the Temple of Athena Nike
Three bright & happy ladiesThree bright & happy ladies
Three bright & happy ladies

Caroline, Arlene, and Janet


Tot: 0.041s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb