Greek Island Hopping - Athens to Mykonos


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece
September 22nd 2008
Published: October 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our twin ferryOur twin ferryOur twin ferry

It rained most of our ferry journey
We came to Mykonos by slow crowded ferry from the Piraeus Port by Athens on Sept 20th, Saturday. A cool weather front accompanied us and made the other-island stops along teh way less scenic enroute and couped us up inside most of the 5-hour journey. It will seem strange but I blame that crowded vessel and noisy Greek language all around for my slightly troublesome cold that devloped in Mykonos.

The Greek language is hard to pick up and because they use a different 24-letter alphabet to write one must see the phoenetic spelling in English for all words. For example: thank you / epharisto is said eff harry's 'toe' with emphasis on the 'toe'. Normal conversation between two Greek people seemed they were angry but really not I understand - just fairly loud, fast and demonstrative. Maybe we sound the same to others.

While on the Island of Mykonos we stayed at the Hotel Petinos Superior in rather quaint rooms not too far from the beach and we could easily access the city buses. The main town has immaculate whitwashed housed concealing hundreds of little churches, chapels, and shrines. The 'sugar-cube' buildings are white with blue trim. The labyryth design of the communities helped thwart the raiding pirates of the 18th and 19th centuries.


Additional photos below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

We had not prepared well for this rainWe had not prepared well for this rain
We had not prepared well for this rain

Reports were that they had not had rain since May - and we were caught out in it.
2008 Greece Canon 169 0242008 Greece Canon 169 024
2008 Greece Canon 169 024

The launch that would deliver us across rough waters. Rose barely managed that trip even with Gravol pills
Our guide on Delos Our guide on Delos
Our guide on Delos

This is an island not inhabited now but had a n ancient well-developed Minoan civilization.


Tot: 0.218s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 58; dbt: 0.1105s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb