Greece Trip - Flea Market & Roman Forum


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
March 21st 2008
Published: March 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

A bit frustrated, but feeling like we saw the Kerameikos, we make our way to the Monastriki neighborhood by way of the Central Market (again). Since we feel more prepared for the sights it’s not so shocking the second time through. I should mention there is also a huge fish market, it smells a little fishy, in another part of the market. We decide to eat like an Athenian today and we grab a bite at a take out stand.

A few of the guide books I read said of Athens, “to see the main attractions (Acropolis, etc.) and get out” ..... I totally disagree. There is so much to see, taste, and experience. I think Athens is worth savoring, and the best way to accomplish this is to just wanders the streets, that's what we did. We blindly stumbled into the Athens Flea Market. The market really comes alive on Sundays, but it’s Thursday afternoon and we find ourselves in the middle of a pretty busy and colorful Flea Market. It’s a little seedy, but everyone is willing to haggle. We decide that this is the perfect place to find everything you didn’t know you needed or wanted. Somehow we escape with all Euros intact.....

The Flea Market isn’t far from the Roman Forum & Tower of the Winds. This is actually a quiet place away from the madness of the Flea Market and I’m a bit relieved to be out of the craziness. I think if you were going to be pick pocketed in Athens, that Flea Market would be the place.

In the first century AD, the Romans moved Athens marketplace from Agora to The Roman Forum. Julius Caesar and Augustus were founders of this Roman market. It was smaller than the original, but grander. What remains of the marble-pillared courtyard is splendid and this was the center of administrative and commercial business until the 19th century. Here the Towers of the Winds can also be be found, build in 50 BC by astronomer Andronikos Kyrrhestas. There is no other building like this in the ancient world. Inside the Tower is a water clock that was operated by a stream that flowed from Acropolis. We see some of the happiest stray dogs in all of Athens at the Roman Forum. They pee on the old marble columns and roll in the ruins of the courtyard..... man, to be a dog in Athens, it’s like being a Greek God.

Walking back to the hotel through the Plaka neighborhood, many of the orange trees are in bloom and have produced some of the best looking oranges I have seen. We believe these must be the oranges which make our fresh squeezed juice each morning at our hotel. The taste is more like a clementine than an orange, a bit more tart, but really good!

We have a lovely dinner outside, and retired to the hotel.



Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Pam in Courtyard of the Roman ForumPam in Courtyard of the Roman Forum
Pam in Courtyard of the Roman Forum

The Tower of Water is in the background.
Roman Forum StraysRoman Forum Strays
Roman Forum Strays

These were some of the happiest strays we encountered.


Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0611s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb