Greece Trip - Filapappos Hill morning


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
March 21st 2008
Published: March 22nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Feb, 28 2008
This morning we head to Filapappos Hill (the hill of muses), a short walk from our hotel. Filapappos is a beautiful green shaded oasis. We see many older locals headed to the small Byzantine church, Agios Dimitrios Loumbardiaris, for morning pray or conversation. We walk to Socrates’ Prison, a cave where it’s believed that Socrates was imprisoned after being condemned to death. His disciples sat with him as him drank the hemlock that killed him. This was a really nice place to stroll and mingle with locals as we enjoyed the great weather.

We leave the Hill and walked down a tree lined blvd. in the Thissio neighborhood towards Kerameikos. The outer walls of Athens ran through Kerameikos, forming the edge of the Classical city. Kerameikos contains evidence of the activities that took place along the ancient cities edge (tombs, temples, important roads, pottery workshops and a brothel). We walked around the outside of the walls peeking into the grounds to see the sites (this is the oldest and largest burial site in Attica), but we never could find the entrance.



Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

Acropolis ViewAcropolis View
Acropolis View

View of Acroplois from Filopappos Hill.
Filopappos HillFilopappos Hill
Filopappos Hill

This is a real nice place to get away from the noise of central Athens.
Pretty PicturePretty Picture
Pretty Picture

At the north end of Filapappos Hills is the National Observatory and Agia Marina Church.
Ancient RuinsAncient Ruins
Ancient Ruins

A view of Acropolis from the walls of Kerameikos.
Kerameikos BullKerameikos Bull
Kerameikos Bull

The bull is part of the tomb of Dionysios of Kollytos.
Kerameikos WallKerameikos Wall
Kerameikos Wall

This is part of the wall of the ancient city.


Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 61; dbt: 0.0414s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb