Here we are again!


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
August 8th 2007
Published: August 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Hi Everyone,

As you may have noticed, the travelblog site had a major crach which has led to a loss of our entries thus far, I will try to recover these later, but for now an update on our activities...

When i last reported we were in Berlin. We left for Thessaloniki on the 30th July and spent two days visiting the excellent archeological museum, the various remains of roman and Greek sites and the very large statue of Alexander the Great. On the 1st august we left to make our way by train to Edessa, further north. The train journey was both cheap and fun travelling through countryside dotted with Peach orchards. we stayed in a lovely hotel in the old town. Our days were spent visiting the waterfalls for which Edessa is rightly famous, and afternoons spent in the public swimming pool (at the edge of the escarpment, and thus the most picturesque public pool in the world!) sunning ourselves and doing laps whilst being bombed by the local kids!

After two days onward to Vergina again by train. Vergina is a tiny place of no importance other than it contains the Tomb of King Philip the second of Macedon, Father of Alexander the Great. this site was quite amazing for the atmosphere and rich finds in the tomb, it may be out of the way but still well worth a visit.

4th August - Onward to Lito Hora, which nestles at the base of Mt Olympus where the Greek gods were supposed to have lived. We spent all day getting there by a combination of bus and train, though actual travel time was a mere 1 and half hrs rest spent sitting waiting for connections.

In the evening we had an amazing thunderstorm and rain worthy of England! Next day we visited ancient Dion the remains of a once great city complete with public baths, and amazingly well preserved mosaic floors. We also visited the sacturies for Isis and Zeus and made offerings for safe travel, lets hope it helps!

Lito Hora should also be known for the loudest church bells which started at 6am and repeated in various forms for the next 3 - 4 hrs at 15 minute intervals, (good sense of humour required for travel).

6th August - The plan was to make our way to Delphi by bus, and to this end we got the early morning bus to Larisa, local transport hub, once there we were informed that no buses go anywhere close to Delphi. So after a quick rethink Claire phoned her friend Pari who lives in Athens and we were invited to stay, so bus to Athens it was.

We have been staying in Athens as Guests of Pari, her husband Vageli and their daughter Maria since, and have been treated like royalty, including a visti to marathon and trips to the beach. Big thanks to them also for arranging onward travel!

We now have secured accommodation on the island of Leros (a mere 10 hrs away) and will be on the 5pm ferry tomorrow.

I will be adding more photos and news when a fast connection becomes available.

Until then regards to all!!!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.089s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0656s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb