Are we there yet...


Advertisement
Greece's flag
Europe » Greece » Attica » Athens
May 2nd 2007
Published: May 2nd 2007
Edit Blog Post

Woke up pretty early and got on my flight to Athens. It was a 2 hour flight and everything went smoothly. I was meeting Alicia there as her flight was coming in a half hour after mine. After getting my bag i realized her flight is on the same baggage carousel and i waited no more then 10 minutes before meeting up. We then took the train to the metro station and got off on the stop that was noted on her directions (she got an apartment from a friend in Athens) and from there, well her directions/map well was not much more then some chicken scratch on a paper. So we walked every which way, and asked more then a half dozen people on how to find our street where the apartment was. Mind you, i had a 40 lb backpack on my shoulders... ugh. We finally found it and it was quite nice. Oh, it was dark in the apt. complex as we didn't know there were light switches for the building so i had a flash light handy as we headed to it.

Total time to find place: approximately 45 minutes.... Take note...

After settling for a few we were out the door, we stopped at the Monstraki square and found a nice cafe which happened to be the best greek food of the trip so far as well as the cheapest beer around. We ordered a greek salad (duh, gotta try the real deal!), spicy chilli's (the first spicy thing this trip, they were excellent), and a chicken pita. The salad was easily the best greek salad ever!!! The olive oil used and feta cheese was devine. The rest was quite good.

While sitting there an older couple striked conversation which then led to us getting a tour of Greece with them. Their names were Peter and Kathy and were in there 60's. Peter, lived in Greece for a long time but now lives on the east coast of the states. Kathy, was from the Greek islands. Anyways, they showed us around Athens and told us the history of the areas. It was very cool. Afterwards, they helped us grab a bus since it was past 12 (subway was closed).

So, since we didn't pay much attention to how we got the apt. the first time we got lost finding the apt again and stumbled upon aimlessly to find the street, especially since most street names are only in Greek. We were getting to the point of throwing our hands up in the air, until Alicia looked on the street sign we just turned on and it happened to be our street and about a block away from the apt.!!! How funny is that!!!

Total Time: approximately 35 minutes...

So are we there yet... Was the thought in my head throughout the day.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0542s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb