Georgia's birthday


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
December 29th 2013
Published: June 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 49.911, 7.06647

Today, our little girl woke as a teenager! The iPad had been bleeping all night, with birthday wishes, and it was good to ring home and talk to grandma and grandad, and the Dore cousins.

We went with Georgia to the local bakery, whilst Miranda made yummy chocolate chip muffins - these, together with a raspberry tart, pain au chocolat, croissants formed a birthday feast for a princess!

We then headed off to the Villa Otrang, the remains of a Roman manor house along the road from Trier south. Unfortunately, it was closed, but we peered in the windows at the mosaics preserved inside...

We then drove to Bernkastel-Keus, a gorgeous village on the Moselle River. We first went up to the castle ruins - it was built in the 9th century, and became the summer palace of the archbishops of Trier, until it fell into ruins after a fire in the 17th century. The views up and down the Moselle valley were stunning - we were delighted that we got 5 minutes of sunshine, when everything else was lightly raining.

Then to lunch at a hotel overlooking the river. The kids are getting quite adventurous - Matt liked sauerkraut mixed into his mash, with sausages (including something I feel sure was a blood sausage!), Georgia had a lovely salmon dish and Tom had a goulash type of dish. (I had a schnitzel...just in case I was called upon to swap with anyone!)

The village was absolutely stunning - all higgledy-piggeldy medieval timbered houses. Lots of photos. We couldn't get a photo, though, of the cavalier King Charles spaniel wearing boots as it walked down the street!!

Back home to stuff everything into suitcases - it is freezing outside, as it has dropped to 0 degrees. We are off to dinner in Malmedy tonight, to thank our wonderful friends for having us for the last week.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



30th December 2013

Hope you had a great birthday, Princess xx

Tot: 0.384s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0626s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb