Johannesfeier


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 30th 2014
Published: June 30th 2014
Edit Blog Post

On Saturday night we went to the Johannesfeier. It started at around 9:15 (or 21:15 if you want to get real German with it) and consisted of a huge bonfire in the center of a clearing on the school grounds. It represents the summer solstice and was funded by the nearby catholic church. There was no rope or barrier to stop people from approaching the fire which we thought was very odd, yet the random germans who were lighting their cigarettes on it seemed to get a kick out of it. When the fire really started to burn it would get so hot that many regretted wearing the long jeans that were previously appropriate in the chilly evening weather. There was a large piece band in one corner that played traditional sounding music which was a nice background sound to the German chatter that surrounded us. Everyone was speaking mostly German because some of our exchange partners' friends didn't know much English. It was a great learning experience for us, and many Germans were very eager to speak with a real American. What really excites people is the fact that we also speak German; not many Americans visit who can talk with those who are not well versed in English. Beer drinking was also a big part of the festival-like event, but the Americans were fine with abstaining and instead munching on traditional German Bratwurst. It was funny how there were medics around helping any older Germans who may have had a little too much to drink which seemed to be a very Bavarian thing. So that was how mostly everyone spent their Saturday. With friends, German, food, music and fire.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.153s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 42; dbt: 0.0741s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb