Lübeck


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
July 18th 2006
Published: August 2nd 2006
Edit Blog Post

We just spent 2 days in Lübeck. One thing is for certain: Germany is underrated.

After driving thru some beautiful countryside on smaller roads past Ringsted, We took the ferry from Rødby in Denmark, over to Puttgarden in Germany. The ferry ticket was 16€ for a motorcycle including 2 passengers, and took us about 1 hour. Once on the German side, we headed for a camp ground in Lübeck.

We had exited the A1 highway too early, and could no longer rely on the Map24 navigation printout we had made. Somehow we ended up on a tolled road (0.60€) and asked at the toll booth for instructions to get to Schönböckens Camping, and found out that we were indeed headed in the right direction. We found our way to the center of Lübeck, and stopped to ask what looked like a German family for directions, and were surprised to find out they were Swedes. Well, they weren't able to help too much, but we seemed to be headed in the right direction... The next couple we asked were German, and local too. The pretty lady gave us really goood instructions, which led us to the campgrounds, finally, at 10pm. We really felt luck was on our side.

We set up camp in a shady area, and the next morning found the camp to be quickly emptying out. Apparently, this is a major transit point for people to and from the Ferries.

The tent next to us remained, and a Swedish couple emerged, also mototour campers. So we swopped stories and they shared tips with us about places to go, etc. Later that evening, a whole group of mototour campers came by, all Swedes, all in their 50s and older, and sort of took us under their wing, giving us tips etc, seeing that we were mototour first-timers. It was kinda sweet of them actually :-p

We expected Lübeck to be a boring port city, but it was a beautiful town! This city is known for being the place marzipan was invented. Apparently, during a long siege, the locals substituted ground almond for flour due to shortages, and discovered a new wonderful way to make bread.

Another thing for certain: the heat was up a few degrees. We just found out that the entire Germany and France were in the middle of a heat wave.

We took a look around Lübeck, payin' our dues and doin' our bit of touristin'... We looked up a church called Marienkirche, where there were supposed to be the fragments of a bell in the middle of the cathedral, leftover from a bombing raid at exactly the place they fell, as a stark reminder and protest against war... but we didn't actually find it because we were walking the wrong way in that huge place, just a few minutes before closing time.

On Tues morning, in the sweltering heat, we headed off for Fryslân, in northern Netherlands.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.125s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0395s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb