Trip with Dad


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
January 2nd 2012
Published: January 2nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Day 1









After 3 long days of waiting around Arras, sleeping and watching lots and lots of tv programs, Dad finally arrived in France. A bit of worry with some trains being delayed or cancelled due to strong winds, but he got safely to Arras around noon (Friday). Seeing as that coincides with French-break-time, usually lasting until 2h, we set out to find some quick lunch (panini sandwiches) and walk around Arras' Petite Place and Grand'Place and check-in to our hotel.

When businesses opened up again, we got the paperwork done for our rental car (a very nice Black Peugeot 207..also known to me as a cute little black car) and set out towards Vimy. With only one day in France before our trip to Germany began, we were trying to cram as much as possible into just a few hours of daylight.

Arriving at Vimy around 2h30 (hourray for not getting lost this time!), we discovered that Dad had brought Canadian winter here - although from what I've been hearing, even Ottawa hadn't had Canadian weather yet.

Regardless, we stepped out of the car and into a blast of cold, wind and snow. Greeting the security guard, he told us we were the only two visitors on site of the day. Pretty sure he thought we were crazy.

We went up to the monument, took what pictures we could and then headed back toward the visitors' centre for the tour of the tunnels. My supervisor was nice enough to open these up for us, so that I could show Dad around the Grange Subway. Bonus, the tunnels are much cozier weather than outside at the monument!

Afterwards, it was time to quickly cross town and head towards Beaumont-Hamel. We got there around 4h45, perfect time to tour up to the caribou before it got dark. I think Dad really appreciated the site for the importance it has both for Newfoundland and myself.

For our first evening together, we went out to a restaurant in the Grand'Place. Delicious food and good company.

Day 2









The second day of our trip was started by finding breakfast at a bakery, returning the car and heading to the train station. We took our train around 11h for Paris, transfered from Gare du Nord to Gare de l'Est by metro and then finally on to our train towards Frankfurt. Normally, quite a simple path seeing as the whole transportation system in Europe is very well setup. However, with a 26 kg suitcase (mine) and a smaller carry-on size bag (Dad's), packbacks and our coats...not so easy. We were quite happy to be on our train to Frankfurt after the previous movements.

We got to the city centre around 17h and went first to find the tourist information booth within the station, where we got a city map and directions to our hostel (less than 100 m from the station - awesome!). The hostel itself was nice in my books (I'll let Dad make up his own mind); strange for me to have a room for only 2 people, with ensuite washroom and shower, towels included.

For supper, we went towards the recommended restaurant-area about 20 minutes walking distance from the hostel. We found a great italian restaurant and were a bit confused with which language to use. The two of us being incapable of saying more than hello and thank you in German, tried with English. We were easily understood and told where
Frankfurt Christmas MarketsFrankfurt Christmas MarketsFrankfurt Christmas Markets

The cup we paid a deposit for and got to keep as a souvenir :)
to sit down...in Italian! We had delicious meals and shared tiramisu for supper.

Day 3









Today the exploring of Germany began! Having heard lots of the Römer (a medival building in Frankfurt, used as town hall) we headed in that direction to begin. Not only did we find breath-taking buildings, but also a wonderful Christmas Market! We shopped a bit and then wandered towards the Eisener Steg, a pedestrian. After a few pictures of the scenery, we were about to leave when we spotted something attached to the structure of the bridge: a lock. Turns out this was a "Love Lock" bridge, where couples have "locked their love" with a padlock, complete with their names and date. Very romantic!

We headed back through the markets to find the beautiful Frankfurt Cathedral (Dom Sankt Bartholomäus). We went inside this enormous buidling and felt dwarfed. Near lunchtime by the time we got out, so we opted for the typical German snack - sausages! Being chilled to the bone after walking outside all day (should've worn our long johns!) we bought hot chocolate and were shocked by the price = total of 9 euros! We were then explained in amazing English by the vendor that the price included a deposit for the cups, should we choose to keep them. If we didn't want them as souvenirs, we could get the money back. What a great idea! No wasted paper or styrofoam cups, and a lovely souvenirs of Frankfurt!

That was it for our time visiting Frankfurt. For supper that night, we weren't very creative - we went back to the same Italian restaurant for another delicious meal. This time, the language complications rose when the waiter started speaking to us in French! Incredible Germany..how do you do it?

Day 4





Today, we were leaving Frankfurt and heading for Cologne (Köln) by train. I was quite nervous about this, because we had a 5 minute transfer in Mainz. Not as familiar with the German train system as I am with the French, I was worried we wouldn't have enough time to move our suitcases and find the new platform. I asked the train controller if she could help - she said our train would be the next track over, so no stairs to go through. Fiouf! Our second train was about 5 minutes late (unheard of with German efficiency) and so we were not rushed to get on.

Our hostel in Cologne was also quite close to the train station. We got there around 11h, and our room was ready for us. We were quite surprised to see 4 beds instead of two in the room and had to check with the admin to make sure we'd be alone. He said yes, we were to be alone in our room. Sweeeet, more blankets and towels 😊

We headed for the city's most known attraction, it's cathedral (Kölner Dom). We thought the cathedral in Frankfurt was big...until we saw this enormous building. The courtyard right next to it had a Christmas Market set up. What beautiful scenery for the shoppers. Quick snack of chocolate covered pinapples and strawberries and we set out for other parts of the city. We found the shopping distrcit - great for warming up as the weather was very cold!

For supper tonight, we had steak and mushrooms in an American Style restaurant. On our way back to the hostel, we saw in front of the Cathedral, a pianist playing a grand piano. How he got it there is an absolute mystery, but the man could play!

Short time only in Cologne, but what a beautiful city.

Day 5





We had an early train this morning from Cologne to Berlin. This time, no transfer so it was not stressful in the least. We arrived in Berlin around 1h pm and our first stop was at the tourist information center for help with getting to our hostel and the airport in 2 days. The man who helped us was so friendly, he planned everything out for us, got us our transportation cards.

Before heading out (we had cards good for 48 hours, so we wanted to wait as much as possible before starting the timer!) we found some lunch and wifi. Then around 2h30, following the man's instructions, we hoped on a bus towards the hostel and then walked to this amazing building. I have never seen such a nice hostel (Grand Hostel Berlin). Great buidling, location, staff and rooms. The staff helped us sort out the sights of this huge city into a clear circuit.

Once settled and changed, we headed out for my first priority: Check Point Chalie and the Berlin Wall. I may have been born after it came down, the important historical significance is not lost on me. It was very sombre to be standing next to a portion of the wall and thinking of the 100 people who died trying to cross it, and the thousands who were seperated from their loved ones and a better life.

We then walked to the Potsdamer Platz, normally a business quarter of Berlin with modern buildings, but it was Christmas Market central for us! Antoher hot chocolate here, and then it was back to the hostel to get ready for supper. We found an Italian restaurant (a bit of a trend forming here..) in the area near our hostel.

Day 6





Packed day today, starting with the breakfast hunt! We found croissants and coffee on the way to the underground station. We headed for Berlin's most known sights; Reichstag (their Parliament) and the Brandenburg Gate (the symbol of Berlin). After lots of pictures here, we went for a more sombre and real experience, at the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe. Their information center offered audioguides, which led us for around 1h30 through their museums, hearing the testimonies of survivors and the stories of the dead. A very moving experience.

Next stop was Alexander Platz, for some more cool buildings and Christmas Markets. One last stop before supper at the Gendarmenmarkt, for yes...more shopping! Christmas presents purchased here for both family...and myself 😉

For supper tonight, a restaurant very much decorated for Christmas (after all it was December 21st!) and a very tasty meal.

Day 7





Our last day in Berlin, we decided to go to the Museum Ile, to visit the Permagon Museum. Full of artifacts, (and English explanations - hourray!) we spent a few hours here. Our transportation cards about to expire, we had to return to the hostel to pick up our suitcases and start our way towards the airport. 2 undergroun trains and a bus later, we arrived at the Schonefeld Airport...way too early. But both of us being a bit nervous about this flight (almost all annoucement are made in German within the airport), we sat and waited for our turn check-in. After going through the whole security bit and sitting down for supper, we realised we'd never been assigned seats. This question was answered when upon boarding the plane, we heard "any available seat, ladies and gentlemen!". Oh. We were quite lucky to find 2 seats next to each other.

Two hours later, we landed in Paris around 8h30 pm, where we had lots of fun (sarcasm) trying to figure out the Orlyval (a special shuttle from the airport to the city), RER and then metro towards our hotel. We realised after getting off the RER that we hadn't actually paid the ticket for the ride...in other words, we were stuck, unable to get out of the station, or in towards the metro. I was able to sneak behind someone in order to access the selling booth, buy metro tickets and give one to Dad (still stuck on the other side of the gate with my suitcase) so that we could catch the metro. Adventures!

After finding our hotel, we went out for supper, in true French style - at 10h30 pm! A last night of sleeping abroad.

Day 8





Today was purely a travel day, no visiting at all. Lots of time spent in airports, a few flight delays, but an amazing welcome home party awaiting us at the airport made it all worthwhile. Thank you to my incredible family and friends for being there
It is so nice to be home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Brendamburg GateBrendamburg Gate
Brendamburg Gate

Try and find me in this picture!


Tot: 0.106s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0273s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb