Zittau


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 7th 2009
Published: June 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

7 June 2009

We left the Elbe and headed east through rolling countryside along roads in great need of repair to the Czech / Polish border.

Our first stop was Zittau, a town which is being much improved by money from the west. It is home to two large Lenten Veils, which were used to screen the alter during Lent. The veils are made of linen and are painted with biblical scenes. The larger which is more than 8m x 6m illustrates stories from the old and new testaments and was made in 1472. Its survival is a miracle. The smaller one shows the crucifixion and was made for the Lutheren Church in 1573. We were fortunate that we were able to see them on our own. On a contemporary note we were surprised by the steady stream of people coming to vote in the European Elections.

We moved on to Gorlitz the most easterly town in Germany which is split by the Neisse River, the Polish border. We found an excellent camper stop right in the centre of town. A short stroll and visit to the tourist office whetted our appetite for tomorrows exploration. We walked across the new pedestrian bridge into Poland but returned to Germany for our pre-dinner beer.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 15; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0338s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb