Nuremburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
May 31st 2009
Published: June 2nd 2009
Edit Blog Post

31 May 2009

A day looking around the ancient city centre of Nuremburg. Much of the centre was destroyed or badly damaged during Allied bombing raids in early 1945 including its 3 major churches and castle. However most has been faithfully restored or replaced with sympathetic buildings and there are many beautiful parts.

The River Pegnitz runs through the centre and we started the day by crossing it, looking at Lorenkirk and the city wall. Then a return to the market square at noon to see with many other people on the face of the Frauenkirche seven Princes parading around Emperor Karl IV accompanied by chimes. In the afternoon we had an excellent guided tour to some of the more beautiful parts of the city and then around the castle. This was followed by another tour round some the many caves beneath the city which were originally used for brewing but during the war acted as storage for the city’s art treasures and air craft shelters thereby saving many lives.

The day finished with a meal of the local finger sized sausages and sauerkraut followed back at the van by Lebkucken the ginger bead made in the city which we had bought during the day.



Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0272s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb