Rhine in Flames


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
May 2nd 2009
Published: May 3rd 2009
Edit Blog Post

2 May 2009

Today was the Rhine in Flames Festival day and the weather was perfect. However it turned out to be a bit of a disappointment for us. The festival takes place after dark and is a 26k procession of about 60 illuminated boats past where we are camping with six firework displays on the way climaxing in Bonn. We had hoped to ride on one of the boats but the campsite were unable to get us a ticket. They recommended we watch it from a vantage point in the hills at the back of us.

We spent the day reconnoitring the area to find the best place to stand. In the morning we had a delightful walk in the hills with great views of the river. Later we cycled via a ferry to Konigswinter the local town on the other side of the river and found what seemed a good place to watch the procession close to and have a view of the local and Bonn fireworks. Unfortunately the last ferry back was before the fireworks finished.

After much umming and arring we decided to watch from the hills and although we could see everything it was really too far away to get a good view. Never mind, we shall know next time - if there is one.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.051s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0328s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb