Lubeck Schmubeck


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
April 9th 2009
Published: April 9th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Lesson 4: Smoking Stinks!

Peter and I found it reallz hard to leave Amsterdam, because we had a really nice hotel room there and i had really grown fond of the Dutch culture (could easilz be a place I could consider living in). However, we were both exited bz the prospect of finally entering Germany and experiencing their culure. We decided that our first stop would be the small town of LÜbeck. I can´t write very much abou tthe train trip, because I was asleep for most of the waz (Sorry Brian!) - there is something about about being a passager in a moving vehicle that sends me to sleep within five minutes flat. THe local train that went from Hamburg to Lubeck was quite impressive though. You certainlz notice the qualitz and cleanliness of trains here compared to those in Sydnez. You would be in train heaven here Brian - Ive taken lots of photos for you to drool over when I get home. The countryside was beautiful with rural properties and farmers working in their fieds. Having now experienced some of Southern Germany, one can certainly see that Northen Germany is much more industrialised. I think our accomodation in Lubeck though didnt give me a great first impression of German culture - we had to wait an hour for the manager to show up (outside on the side of the street) before we could check in and the room, bed-linen...everything in the end smelt like smoke. It is amazing how common smoking is here in Europe - you cant stand anywhere without someone smoking in the vicinity. I havent seen any billboard signs advertising the ills of smoking either - it must just be the norm. Thankfully, the stinky smoky room persuaded a very tired Alex and Peter to explore Lubeck by sunset. Sunset here last for hours, so its been helpful in allowing us to explore a city within a very limited time period. Lubeck is a very industrialised citz, except for the Altestadt, which has been quaderened off for pedestrians. The shops were open till late and we were able to taste some local food - marzipan (which apperently originated from Lubeck) and also the best thing (beside Apfelkuchen) - a crepe with Nutella inside. Seriously good - try it at home!!! The local bookstore was also very interesting. It was strange seeing all these English books tranlated into German title. They have even translated the Stephanie Meyer series 'Twilight' into German. A selection of Germanised DVDs were also quite interesting - they even had Season 1 of 'Macleod's Tochter'. The Protestant church was also lovely to visit, as it had been restored after the bombing in WWII - the huge bells that had fallen to the ground had been left there as a memorial to all of those who died during the bombing raids. These bells made huge crates in the floor and as we stood there the huge organ started to play. It was quite a special moment and reminded us that we were in Germany and how well God has blessed us and has been looking after us on this trip. We are truly lucky.
The stinky room persuaded us to move onto our next destination which was BERLIN!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.265s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0346s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb