Augsburg to Munich


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 14th 2023
Published: June 14th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Apologies, yesterdays blog should have been titled Gunzburg to Augsburg.

We were cycling south east all day today. It was easy ride out of Augsburg, some times through parks and lots next to the river. It was through more fields of crop, small villages and forests but only a very little gravel today.

About ten miles from Munich we cycled a few miles out of our way to visit Dachau Concentration camp. Dachau is synonymous with the Holocaust, as the site of the notorious Dachau concentration camp where over 43,000 people died during the Nazi regime. The KZ- Gedenkstatte Dachau is now a sombre memorial to those victims and the countless others like them. The entrance gate bears the slogan 'Arbeit Macht Frei' ' work makes you free 'but hard work did not guarantee survival. It was a very sombre experience and not at all up lifting but it is part of our history. It was extremely hot while we there. Several others of the group had also called. We recognised their bikes propped up near the entrance way.

We entered Munich from the north on cycle paths and quiet roads. We are a couple of miles out of the centre because Richard struggled to get accommodation at a decent price right in the centre. Also he is booking for thirteen people which makes it more difficult. This is another hotel that charges €10 to store each bike, but this time it covers both nights we are here. Apparently they said we could put them in room used for meetings if we paid the hire cost of the room but Oscar asked if it was being used over the next couple of days and they said "No" so Oscar negotiated a price with them.

Later we all went off to an Italian restaurant near by for a meal. There only seemed to be one lady waiting on and taking orders and it was quite busy. It took ages to get served, ages to get drinks served and even longer for food. She was talking and shouting all the time and no one could understand what she was saying. She was very cross when we all wanted to pay separately .

We are on a rest day tomorrow to look round Munich.

46 miles.

Total at the end of stage 2 = 493 miles

Advertisement



Tot: 0.306s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0457s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb