Dinkelsbühl to Gunzburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 12th 2023
Published: June 12th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Dinkelsbühl was founded on the wool industry but there are no sign of sheep around now. Tony said that they are all kept indoors as this proves easier and more efficient for the farmer. Poor animals.



Breakfast didn't start untill eight o'clock so we set the alarm to go down for then only to find they had started serving at seven thirty so some of the group had already dined. After breakfast we finished packing and went down to the bikes to find everyone else had gone except Bob and Dave. Usually we had been told what time to meet at the garage but as the bikes were all outside no key was needed, so no mass gathering at the garage. Oscar had told us where there was a supermarket so we bought yoghurts and sandwiches before leaving town. It was an Edeka supermarket, a new one for us.



There were two blockages today on route. Firstly, a fallen tree across the bike path. Luckily we could easy cycle onto the grass and around it. Secondly a road was blocked off as it was being re tarmacked. As we didn't know how to do a diversion and we could see the other end of the road we took to the fields at the side and pushed the bikes to the other end of the road.



As on previous days we passed through lots of arable farms and saw only a very few animals. There were a few sheep and cows and at one point a huge building which must have housed pigs judging from the aroma. We also saw plantations of Christmas trees.



Today was by far the longest and hillier day so far. There were a lot of long slow climbs and a few short sharp ones. Often we could see a church perched on a hill, in the distance, and think 'I know where we are going' and sure enough we would be passing that church a little later. There were several gravel paths through forests and one complete off road experience where it was a rutted path across a field.



We had yoghurts and nuts in Bopfingen just before the biggest climb of the day. Lunch was sat on a bench overlooking lots of horses in a field. By complete coincidence this was at exactly the half way point. Later we had an ice cream from a kiosk in a town square watching toddlers playing in a water fountain.



Fortunately, the last fifteen miles were flat. Just before arriving at Gunzburg we crossed the River Danube. We arrived about five o'clock and were given a key and instructions from Richard. This hotel is a budget hotel so there is no Reception or meals. From outside it looked a little scruffy but it was fine inside.



After showers and sorting things out we met the others at a restaurant very close by for a meal. Then we wandered around the town. Although very small it had some lovely buildings. We had been told the church was beautiful inside but it had been locked up when we tried to go in. It looked impressive from outside, as did the former Monastery next to it.



Gunzburg was founded in about 70 BC by the Romans to defend the borders of their land along the Danube.



58 miles.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.322s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 5; qc: 46; dbt: 0.2114s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb