Rain stopped play


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany
June 3rd 2013
Published: October 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 47.8717, 7.73591

Hi, folks.

From Luxembourg, we moved onto Rudesheim in Germany, but there was no wifi facility at the site so no postings from there, not as it was memorable for all the right reasons.

First of all, the directions for finding the site were inadequate and we missed the turning, ended up along the main thoroughfare along with hundreds of Harley's congregating for the weekend event. We eventually found the site, pitched, including the awning for the first time this holiday, sat out in the sunshine. Over night the wind got up and blew lots of stuff off the surrounding trees onto the car and caravan, and it rained! Car and caravan are now filthy. Cleaning of vehicles is strictly frowned upon for eco reasons so it may be the car wash for the car at least.

The next day we were told by Oliver, the site owner, that we were on flood alert (the Rhine about 25 metres from our front window) and the site may be evacuated. For that reason we did not move far after that, not that the weather was particularly good either. The decision was imminent, so yesterday (Sunday) we moved off for our next destination - the Black Forest. En route, not long after leaving Rudesheim we were diverted off the main road due to flooding, but misread the signs and ended up down narrow, cobbled streets of a little town. Thank goodness it was relatively early on a Sunday morning and a helpful lady offered guidance on how to get back on track.

The Harley Davidson event was pretty spectacular with reputed to be 10,000 bikes taking part. Many were parked up lining the streets of Rudesheim at some time over our stay, not to mention those owners who were camped on our site. We walked out on Saturday to see some of the procession arriving on the road from nearby Eltville and bikes and riders came in all shapes and forms.

We got to Staufen at midday but as they take the equivalent of a siesta with no vehicle movements onsite between 12.30 and 3 we had to kill time with a picnic lunch until we were checked in along with five other British caravans. They were a friendly bunch - David does most of the talking so I get all the info from him.

Today shows promise so I guess we may stay put for a few more days though thunderstorms are forecast towards the end of the week. There are opportunities for cycle rides in the beautiful scenery.

Next stop is expected to be Interlaken in Switzerland but hope to keep you informed as the Internet voucher is valid throughout our stay here. Will hopefully upload some pics from my camera too.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.221s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0267s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb