An elegant palace


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Thuringia
July 28th 2014
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 50.4646, 11.536

In the 1700s, the Wurzburg prince-bishops had enormous power and wealth. The Residenz palace was built between 1720 and 1744 by the architect Balthasar Neumann. It contains a famous grand staircase over which is the largest frescoed ceiling in the world painted by Tiepolo. It shows the 4 continents and is quite breathtaking. The next 4 imperial apartments are astonishing in their decoration over the top marble, gold stucco and mirrored walls and ceilings with more frescoes by Tiepolo. This was a building made to impress and it certainly does. Outside there are also beautiful gardens and a large fountain.

The centre of town is only a short walk from the Palace and contains St Killian,s cathedral and a market square which are worth a visit. On the entrance to the very nice bridge is a small wine shop which does tastings of the local wines which are very reasonable in price and so naturally we bought a few bottles for pre- dinner drinks!

The boat was moored a short walk up from the town. Later that evening we were treated to a glass blowing demonstration by a blower from Wertheim which is famous for its glass blowing production. The man was very amusing as well as good at explaining his techniques and obviously advertising his shop, which we plan to visit tomorrow.


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement

modern sculpture next to the cathedralmodern sculpture next to the cathedral
modern sculpture next to the cathedral

The statue is bound but looking up to heaven to show that no matter what stops us bodily our minds are always free


Tot: 0.453s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 13; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0806s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.2mb