Day 1: The Day That Never Ended


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Saxony » Leipzig
May 18th 2010
Saved: February 1st 2013
Edit Blog Post

Day #1

We begin! We left Valpo at 5:00 last evening, drove to O'Hare, boarded a plane to Munich and then went on to Leipzig, the home base of our tour. After 2 fairly uneventful flights (aside from those singers that did not have seats until the last minute), we are here, safe and sound. The 43-voice Chorale is joined by our director - Dr. Christopher Cock, tour manager - Jeff Hazewinkel, German Professors - The Bjornstads, and Valpo Communications Director - Dustin Wunderlich. We had rehearsal right after checking into our hotel here (we don't believe in days off 😊 in the Thomaskirche, where we will be giving our residency at the end of the tour. The Valpo Chorale is the only American ensemble to be granted this privilege and we will be on our third residency this tour. Rehearsal in Bach's Church was a magical moment for all of us, tired as we all were. A crowd gathered to hear our rehearsal and some even participated in our warm up stretches! We began the rehearsal with a Bach chorale - very appropriate. For many of us, this trip brings us back to Leipzig and has us recalling memory after memory of previous trips to this wonderful city. Following rehearsal, as we struggled to stay awake, we had our first group dinner, complete with several people falling asleep at the dinner table. We have now returned to our rooms (which are decked out in teal and brown) and Leigh and I struggling (and hoping!) to make it to 10pm! Be sure to check out Valpo's website for more updates on the trip! Additionally, throughout this tour blog, the members of Dr. Linda Ferguson's Bach Seminar class (Michael Anderson, Evan Akers, Chris Mueller, Jonathan Rudy, Leigh Wiedelman, Jacob Tewes, Andrew Stoebig, Hilary Clark and myself) will be taking pictures with our class project, "The REALLY New Bach Reader" in places of importance in Bach's history and we will be posting those here.

As became tradition in my last blog, we will continue the quotes:

"I really expected all of you to be so tired, so that I could make fun of you. But you all look good...I'm disappointed." -dr. c.

"You know, even if Bradford is seated in first class, you know we will still be able to hear him in the back of the plane" -jeff

"I'll probably end up between a crying baby and the bathroom" -Brad. "What does it matter to you - won't you be drinking the whole flight?" -Jeff

"I know it is 6am at home. But it is 1pm here. Which means a beer is appropriate" -Lizz


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


COMING SOON HOUSE ADVERTISING ads_leader_blog_bottom



Comments only available on published blogs

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0442s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb