Day Four - Really Cold in Colditz


Advertisement
Europe » Germany » Saxony » Dresden
December 23rd 2007
Published: April 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It got mighty cold last night but by staying under my fluffy down comforter I stayed warm. I just hope none of my appendages were sticking out as I slept. I don't need a repeat of last year's brain-numbing flu. Once again Tyler was the last one ready for breakfast. When we finally were ready we headed downstairs to the totally quiet and deserted breakfast room. The smells of hot coffee let us... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 76, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

The Russians are Coming!  The Russians are Coming!The Russians are Coming!  The Russians are Coming!
The Russians are Coming! The Russians are Coming!

Our reserved table in Pivovarsky Dum put us smack dab in the middle of a bunch of Russian tourists. Unknown to these youthful Russkies, Gen was updating us on their conversation.
Gulasch for GailGulasch for Gail
Gulasch for Gail

Gail ordered the Pivovarský guláš, knedlíky, or Brewer's Goulash with dumplings. All this for less than $8.00.
Grandma Goes Straight for the DessertGrandma Goes Straight for the Dessert
Grandma Goes Straight for the Dessert

Grandma dispensed with all the heavy entrees and ordered Strudel for dinner.
Dessert for DouglesDessert for Dougles
Dessert for Dougles

I don't remember what I had for dinner. I think it might have been the Svíčková na smetaně, knedlíky. For dessert I got these crepes served with beer jam. Delicious. At this point I was finishing off liter #2 of beer. I found the Czech beer exquisite but felt almost nothing from the alcohol. No hangovers for anybody the next day either.
My Czech BuddyMy Czech Buddy
My Czech Buddy

Having traveled to Europe for almost 30 years we were always impressed by how well-behaved European dogs seemed. They sit quietly under the table in restaurants and pay no attention to anyone and never make a sound. That was the case until we met little Jaromir. The dog's owner was oblivious as his dog sniffed around our table and nuzzled us. I wasn't complaining but our waitress almost had a cow when he tried to climb up on our table to sample some Svíčková na smetaně.
The Serious ConnoisseurThe Serious Connoisseur
The Serious Connoisseur

Tyler became a very dedicated and deliberate beer guzzler as we made our way through Eastern Europe.
And On the Other Hand...And On the Other Hand...
And On the Other Hand...

Cassie didn't even sample a beer on the trip, but at dinner she always looked to be the one having the most fun.
The Brew CrewThe Brew Crew
The Brew Crew

Directly over our table there were angled mirrors affording the diners a view of the brewing room. These are vats full of different soaking grains used in the brewing process.
Quite a Variety of Brews at Pivovarsky DumQuite a Variety of Brews at Pivovarsky Dum
Quite a Variety of Brews at Pivovarsky Dum

In addition to your usual Pilsners and Lagers this beerpub also offered cherry, banana, nettle and vanilla-flavored beers.
Our Receipt from Pivovarsky DumOur Receipt from Pivovarsky Dum
Our Receipt from Pivovarsky Dum

Here's a list of what we had at the brewpub. What is particularly interesting is that it says in Czech that 19% was added to the bill, yet at the bottom it says "No Tip Included". I've read on the internet that this is a popular tourist ripoff.
Entertaining CassieEntertaining Cassie
Entertaining Cassie

While we sat around discussing the day's events and quaffing our Czech beers Cassie was bored to death. That was until she found the bowl full of toothpicks. She decided she wanted to be an acupuncturist with me as her first victim, I mean patient. It was about this time that I decided it was time to go back to the hotel.
Die rechnung, bitte!Die rechnung, bitte!
Die rechnung, bitte!

Here's a copy of our dinner bill. (You may have to zoom in). I love the fact that the Germans include the tip in the price. Looks like we had a nice bar tab.



Tot: 0.114s; Tpl: 0.023s; cc: 8; qc: 20; dbt: 0.0685s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb