Day Four - Really Cold in Colditz


Advertisement
Europe » Germany » Saxony » Dresden
December 23rd 2007
Published: April 8th 2008
Edit Blog Post

It got mighty cold last night but by staying under my fluffy down comforter I stayed warm. I just hope none of my appendages were sticking out as I slept. I don't need a repeat of last year's brain-numbing flu. Once again Tyler was the last one ready for breakfast. When we finally were ready we headed downstairs to the totally quiet and deserted breakfast room. The smells of hot coffee let us... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 76, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Dresden's AugustusbruckeDresden's Augustusbrucke
Dresden's Augustusbrucke

Just one of many bridges across the Elbe, the Augustusbrucke is probably the most beautiful river crossing in Dresden. It accomodates cars and buses, but its primary purpose is for the colorful city trams.
Another ChristkindlmarktAnother Christkindlmarkt
Another Christkindlmarkt

We were summoned this way by the waft of sausages and mulled wine. As fascinating as the river promenade seemed our stomachs directed us down into these crowded quarters.
Brats for the Starving BratsBrats for the Starving Brats
Brats for the Starving Brats

We headed directly to the sausage stand where we ordered up a couple of these tasty morsels. We washed them down with beer and Gluhwein inside a tent heated by propane heaters. Bratwurst never tastes this good back home.
Gluhwein StandGluhwein Stand
Gluhwein Stand

What I really like best about the German Christmas markets is the way they construct these homey little stands using raw pine and decorated with real evergreen boughs. The giant pyramid on top was another nice touch. The Gluhwein booths are always the busiest stands at the fairs.
Another City PlatzAnother City Platz
Another City Platz

After bumping and jostling our way down the midway of the market we bounced into this cobbled square, the Neumarkt. To the right is thye recently restored Frauenkirche.
Dome of the AlbertinumDome of the Albertinum
Dome of the Albertinum

This gilded angel graces the top of the Albertinum, another prestigious museum in this section of Dresden. Inside are treasures from the glory days of Saxony. There are supposed to be tons and tons of gold and silver jewelry.
Inside the FrauenkircheInside the Frauenkirche
Inside the Frauenkirche

For a change the Lutherans had a prettier church than the Catholics. The Frauenkirche is very recently restored from a giant pile of rubble just a few years ago. The interior is one of the most unusual churches I've seen.
Not an Opera House but a CathedralNot an Opera House but a Cathedral
Not an Opera House but a Cathedral

Obviously even the locals were very impressed by this place of worship because there was a big crowd inside.
It's Making Me DizzyIt's Making Me Dizzy
It's Making Me Dizzy

Looking up at these galleries strained my neck and confused my tired brain. I never figured out why these levels were built or why they are set up like opera boxes. The church does owe its restoration in great part to choral music presentations performed inside the ruins.
GoldenDomeGoldenDome
GoldenDome

Soaring straight above us was the huge church dome. It is one of the few parts of the church that was not rebuilt using the original stonework. For a very interesting description of the reconstruction, look up "Frauenkirche Dresden" at Wikipedia.
Why Don't our German Shepherds Look Like This?Why Don't our German Shepherds Look Like This?
Why Don't our German Shepherds Look Like This?

The German people have to be the biggest dog lovers in the world. It seems like you see people out walking about with their dogs everywhere throughout the country. The animals are always well-behaved and aloof. Try as I might I can rarely get one to pay attention to me. Another odd thing about German canines is that each breed seems to come in a variety of hairstyles - there are the normal hair length German Shepherds, Dachshunds and Schnauzers, then there are the fuzzy long-haired variety too. This guy was waiting for us as we exited the cathedral.
Add Another Place to the ListAdd Another Place to the List
Add Another Place to the List

This looks like another place we'll have to return to someday. It's right across the square from the Frauenkirche.
More of the AltmarktMore of the Altmarkt
More of the Altmarkt

Typical of European cities, the old city market of Dresden developed in the shadows of the cathedral. Today this area is still the hub of the city. It features numerous restaurants and upscale hotels. As we wandered around we could see workmen prepping the square for a Christmas Eve concert.
Outside the FrauenkircheOutside the Frauenkirche
Outside the Frauenkirche

As we made our way around the big square where the Frauenkirche sits we saw beautiful restored buildings everywhere. Sitting in the center of the square is the recently rebuilt Frauenkirche. Martin Luther stands out front making sure no Catholics try to sneak in.
Could We Afford to Eat Here?Could We Afford to Eat Here?
Could We Afford to Eat Here?

As we made our way back toward our car we headed in the direction of the Schlossplatz. Just before we got there we spent a few minutes looking at the wares of the Christmas Market. While Gen and Tyler popped into a candle shop Gail and I spotted this little cafe that also operates as an antique store. There had to be a thousand different chandeliers and armoires inside. We had no time to check out their menu or the price for their antiques. It just looked expensive inside.
Fresco on the SchlossFresco on the Schloss
Fresco on the Schloss

Our route back to the car gave us a chance to look at the section of the palace that sits behind the Katholische Hofkirche. Of course there are museums behind these walls but quite frankly there are just too many museums to see in Dresden, so we visited none. There was a woman standing nearby with a makeshift table full of nutcrackers and smokers from the nearby Erzgebirge. It was the German version of an outlet store. Maybe these were some of the rejects but they looked perfect to us. We bought a couple smokers for about 1/5 the price we might pay at a souvenir shop elsewhere in Germany.
One Last Swing through the ZwingerOne Last Swing through the Zwinger
One Last Swing through the Zwinger

We hurried through the virtually totally deserted Zwinger. By now we wre getting very cold and we had miles to go before we could sleep in Prague.
Just Another Pretty FaceJust Another Pretty Face
Just Another Pretty Face

Passing through the arcades of the Zwinger as night descended upon us, we got the eerie feeling we were being watched.
Oy!  Welcome to Czech RepublicOy!  Welcome to Czech Republic
Oy! Welcome to Czech Republic

Almost as soon as we crossed the seemingly invisible border between Germany and the Czech Republic we chanced upon a snow squall. It didn't last nor did it impede our progress.
Prague at LastPrague at Last
Prague at Last

Thank God we didn't photograph our parking tribulations. If someone had videotaped my driving through Prague that night my Mother would've washed my mouth-out with soap. A couple of these liters of Czech beer made everything right in the end.



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 19; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb