Cyprus to England - Part 8


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Saarland » Saarbrucken
October 31st 2010
Published: October 31st 2010
Edit Blog Post

TUESDAY 12 OCTOBER - Part 8

Mileage 31583 - 490 miles yesterday - 2191 overall

Alarm set for 0745 hours.

A lay in for us. A good nights sleep. We checked out €145.10. Our friends arrived at 0830 and we made our way on foot into the town again.

Breakfast was at a restaurant they knew very well and we had juice and coffee, boiled eggs, bread with ham, cheese and jam.

Not sure what the total was but we paid €20.

Walked back up to the hotel and saw a local man in traditional dress which apparently isn’t unusual.

Popped into a local Spar shop and bought six bottles of water, €2.58. Managed to drive out the “in“, so caused some chaos.

Then went to our friends shop and had a good look around there were some lovely things. We left at 1106 hours. We stopped for petrol at a local garage and filled up €57.67. Then out back on to the motorway. It was foggy.

Stopped at motorway service station for two coffees and a chocolate donut, €6.95. We had used the “Sanisafe” toilet facilities and paid 70 cents each, but you get a 50 cents voucher which we redeemed against our coffees.

Pat drove and we were off again at 1250 hours, by now going around Munich. The weather had fortunately brightened up.

Stopped for more coffee and diet coke €5.60, leaving at 1430 hours.

We discussed our driving strategy for the day and decided to stop somewhere between Stuttgart and Karlruhe. We were not going to see any accommodation driving along the motorway, so needed to come off. We picked a place called Pforzheim and came off the motorway at 1630 hours.

We followed the road into the town and signs to Zentrum. Pat spotted a good looking hotel, called the Park Hotel, we did our usual and popped into reception, €136.00 for the night. Checked in, moved the car to an underground car park beneath the hotel, then up to room 325.

We had a lovely view over the river and the weir.

Popped down to the New Orleans bar in the lobby area for a livener, beer and a diet coke, €5.30. Then back to the room to freshen up.

We were going to find a restaurant outside the hotel, but after walking around the town for a while, hadn’t found anything that appealed to us, so we went back to the hotel.

We had -
Pumpkin soup
Potato soup
Veal
Beef
Wine, diet coke and water.
€63.40

The hotel and the restaurant were busy.

The town is famous for jewellery, and apparently we flattened it during the second world war (the town not the jewellery)

Back to the room by 2100, watched CNN on the television until 2200.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.337s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 21; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0921s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb