Day 2, Trier


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Trier
August 1st 2010
Published: August 1st 2010
Edit Blog Post

Dave's Updates :

Left Boppard early and drove around for a few hours following the Rhine and Mossel rivers. Had a great lunch in a small tourist town overlooking the Mossel and the vineyards on the other side. My first two hour meal here was annoying, the second charming, and now it's back to annoying and probably going to stay there. The food's a lot better than I thought - it's actually really good and reasonably priced. The Rieslings are really, really good.

Took the Autobahn for part of the way to Trier and that was a hoot. Got the tiny little VW up to 205 kph / 127 mph. Still got passed by someone in an Audi that had to be doing at least 160 mph. The VW just didn't have anything left to give. Plus Loges wasn't really digging the fast driving. Going to rent a BMW next trip and ditch the better half for a couple of hours.

Trier : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trier

Got to Trier at around 5. We're staying at a youth hostel. It turns out you can stay at a youth hostel if you're temporally challenged but you have to pay an old fart surcharge. Got a private room with a WC and a shower. It's got bunk-beds. Haven't slept in those since I was in the service. Hope I don't break a leg taking my 3 am leak.

The town's really cool. This evening we walked around the town center for an hour or two. We saw an archway from the second or third century that's one of the best preserved ones in the world. Went to see the birthplace of Karl Marx but it was closed so we went to the wine bar across the street.

Loges' German speaking is pretty impressive. She's only had to switch to English a couple of times so far.

Tomorrow we check out some Roman ruins in Trier and then off to the next town. Pictures to follow shortly.

Cheers,
Dave




Advertisement



2nd August 2010

Good blog
awsome, awsome, awsome...... can't wait to see the pictures, today is Monday, August 2 and all is well. Dad's turn tonight at your place. Dogs are missing you, cat's not so much. Little Squeaker actually let me pet her and purred. No poop on the rug and pee is in the paper towel little pan.

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0434s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb