Rhine Wine


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Sankt Goar
July 5th 2007
Published: August 19th 2007
Edit Blog Post

After a long drive from Lucerne we finally arrived in Germany once again in a small town called St. Goar in the Rhine Valley. This is a big wine growing region, where they grow their grapes on the sides of hills to get the optimum amount of sun.

We checked into our small hotel, which had possibly the narrowest staircase we’d ever seen especially considering everyone’s suitcases were now bulging at the seams!

Our activity for the evening was a wine tasting excursion to sample some of the local wines. JB walked us along the streets and then down some stairs into what literally looked like a sewer! It was dark and cool, which we guess is perfect for a win cellar! A few Ninja turtle jokes were made as we half expected Splinter to jump out and say hello. The people who ran the show were also very quirky! We described the man as being a bit like the Doc from Back to the Future and the woman as having a strong resemblance to Morticia haha! Overall it was a fun night, and the wines were absolutely fantastic! Steve bought some Eiswein to take home and age - apparently it tastes great after 25-30 years!

The next morning, rather than rushing onto the bus, we actually had a couple of morning activities. First was a beer stein demonstration then followed by a cruise of the Rhine River. The cruise was a little boring as the scenery was a little samey, but we guess it was better than being on the bus the whole day!!

St. Goar was a cool little town, and was definitely worth the visit to see something different!



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.12s; Tpl: 0.039s; cc: 12; qc: 56; dbt: 0.0316s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb