Overland 1972 - Day 3


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Rüdesheim
February 15th 1972
Published: February 19th 2013
Edit Blog Post

February 15th - day 3

St Goar was an ideal place to have stopped overnight because it was opposite the Lorelei Rock which is the narrowest point of the Rhine. We admired the view before hitching South to Bingen and from there by ferry across the Rhine to Rudesheim. I travelled with Heather today. This region is certainly a beautiful part of Germany with the Rhine running through a long narrow gorge and the hillsides full of old buildings. Rudesheim was notable for its historic buildings and a couple of castles. Unfortunately we arrived on a Bank Hoilday and most of the shops and the cable car were closed. After a shortened look around we decided to press on towards Heidelberg. However it was not a good hitchhiking day. The first car took us close to the Autobahn (and it is illegal to hitch there). As we walked back to find a more suitable spot, a police car stopped to check us out but luckily they were pretty friendly. Eventually we had a lift to the outskirts of Mainz and after a walk of 800 yards, another lift took us to the city centre. A bus journey was necessary to get to the Youth Hostel. The YH in Mainz was modern but alas the warden was not prepared to give us a student rate - so it was 4DM. We went out to find a local cafe but alas it was fairly expensive and so we returned to the YH. The social life at the German YHs was not always very good as there seemed to be lots of big groups but here we had an entertaining evening with a guy from Stuttgart. I was impressed by his knowledge of UK troubles - miners strike, EU, Ulster and Rhodesia. Extra good fortune as he promises to give us a lift to Heidelberg in the morning.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0655s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb