End of Rhine Tour '05 - or was it?


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Koblenz
September 7th 2005
Published: December 19th 2005
Edit Blog Post

On our last morning we decided to stop off at Koblenz, to make sure we caught our Inter City train to Köln, as our ticket was only valid on that particular train.

We strolled round the streets, and made our way to the Deutsches Eck, where the Mosel flows in to the Rhine.

From then on, our luck really ran out. Our train out of Koblenz was running late, and we had a 10 minutes connection to Brussels at Köln. Bad Mistake! Due to some "incident" involving the emergency services we were 40 down. We got the next train out to Brussels ok, but it meant we would be late into Zeebrugge. After haring across Brussels station, we caught a crowded IC to Brugge (Bruges), where we then zoomed out of the station onto a taxi to Zeebrugge. Depsite the driver's valient efforts, we arrived 10 minutes too late. They refused to let us on the boat and we were to spend an extra day in Belgium! The first thing this guy from the port said was: "It's a negative". What was all this Top Gun crap? We had to sort out digs for the night and re-book the ferry. It was going to get expensive!

Fortunately, the taxi driver ran a B&B on the edge of town. They supplied us with bikes for the eveinng to get into Brugge. Sadly, we spent the first 40 minutes whizzing round trying to find a payphone that took coins! Nevertheless, Brugge by night is really something to be seen. Then after a meal at an Indian restaurant we headed back to the B&B, by now pretty exhausted.




Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Deutsches Eck, KoblenzDeutsches Eck, Koblenz
Deutsches Eck, Koblenz

German Corner, Koblenz. Monument to German unification at the confluence of the Rhine and Mosel rivers.


Tot: 0.275s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 26; qc: 130; dbt: 0.1456s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.4mb