We're here!


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Rhineland-Palatinate » Koblenz
July 1st 2007
Published: July 1st 2007
Edit Blog Post

GulaschGulaschGulasch

Our first home-cooked German meal.
Well we have arrived in Germany. When we boarded the discount airline at LAX and it was about 100 degrees inside the plane we began to realize why it is a "discount" airline...turns out it was becasue they only had one engine on. The flight didn't seem too long but Kat only slept about 2 hours and I got about 1 hour. Grandma Yola picked us up yesterday in Dusseldorf at 11:30 am and we made the 90 minute drive southwestish to Koblenz. The weather is very overcast and humid but pretty warm. Katherine lasted about 5 minutes once we got to Yola's before she fell asleep. I joined her 10 minutes later. After about 2 hours we woke and had a wonderful meal of Gulasch followed by a dessert that looked like yogurt, smelled like yogurt and tasted like yogurt but according to Yola, "It's not."

After dinner we went for an evening stroll. There were quite a few open-air concerts going on. The largest one that cost 20€ was a big time pop-rock band called PUR. The other ones were small cover bands where we heard german-accented renditions of Chumbawumba, The Pretenders, Styxx and grandma Yola's favorite, AC/DC. We had gelato and beer...but not at the same time. The gelato was vanilla and chocolate with fresh strawberries and the beer was Warsteiner Pilsner. The gelato was better.

Church this morning was interesting. We sang a bunch of American songs but they were translated into German. There was a missionary speaking who was sent out by the church. One of the few things we understood was "God ist große" which we are pretty sure means "God is big." Yola introduced us and the whole congregation was laughing during her introduction. When Katherine asked her later what she said, she just laughed. I am not sure but I thought I heard the word "swine."

I am typing this on a german keyboard where the letter z is where the y should be and thez have special kezs for ö, ü, ä and ß which is prettz exciting but verz frustrating to tzpe on so I am going to end now.

Auf Wiedersehen,

Chet

Advertisement



3rd July 2007

Somis
Things in Somis just are not the same without you two....but things are bueno and your house is still there....enjoy Belgium!

Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0492s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb