Scenic Tours Jewels of Europe #2


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia
August 11th 2010
Published: August 11th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Cologne.

We sailed (motored) during the night with the first stop in Cologne. Our choice of a cabin as far from the engines as we could has proved successful.

We were 1.5 hours late arriving so the city tour was reduced to a visit to Peter's Brauhaus where an exclusive local beer (Kolsch) is available. On the way to the Cathedral (Dom) we walked on a piece of Roman road that was exposed in recent excavations. It was very rough with large gaps between the stones, but had no wheel ruts. Beside the road was a museum where a superbly preserved Roman mosaic floor could be viewed from the street.

In the square before the cathedral there was a Roman arch and a man dressed as a Roman soldier, one as a painting and two silvered all over. Our guide departed leaving us to enter the Dom and return to the ship.

The Dom was started in 1248, finished in 1880, damaged during World War 2 and undergoes continued restoration because the sandstone is damaged by pollution. It is the 4th largest and 2nd highest cathedral in the world. The exterior is highly decorated with fine stone work and the inside has a well lit soaring ceiling. Altogether very impressive but it would have looked magnificent when it was near new and almost white. When railways were new the local authorities wanted everyone to see the Dom so they built the railway beside it. The soot from the steam trains blackened the stone and modern pollution continues to stain and damage the stone.

The stained glass windows, that were preserved elsewhere during the war 2 are bright and beautiful. The windows on one transept looked modern with brightly coloured small glass squares.
A gold sarcophagus holds the claimed remains of the Biblical Magi.

It is said that the British pilots were told not to bomb the Dom but it was hit 4 times and had incendiaries dropped on it and the roof burned. Being so big it stood out from the city that was reduced to rubble and was an excellent navigation aid for British pilots.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.482s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.2134s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb