Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia
June 30th 2008
Published: June 30th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Oelde, Germany



22.6.8 Sunday.

Rolf was waiting at the Frankfurt customs exit for us at about 6 am and drove us to his home in Oelde. In the afternoon he and Frieda took us to an old WW2 radar headquarters where the cellars now house an extensive collection of radio and communications devices. Most were extensive collections of radios, radiograms and TVs but there were some special ones.

There was the receiver used to receive the first Sputnik transmissions. There were WW2 Russian and German radio receivers, the first “mobile” phone, a collection of modern ones and a large V12 generator. Two of the 3 men there spoke English and were able to explain things, for example it was illegal to listen to overseas radio from 1933 until the end of the war.

We had coffee and some wicked cake at the ground foor restaurant.

Early to bed after a long day for a good long sleep.

23.6.8 Monday.

Lazy start to the day. After the rain and thunder storm last night, today is much cooler but no good for gliding.

John spent much of the day trying to send some e-mails without success - something to do with Rolf's dynamic internet provider. Got everything else working OK. In the evening we went to the Potts Brewery restaurant for a meal. On Monday most of the restaurants are closed.

24-06-08 Tuesday.

Rolf took John to Erlinghausen to fly the ASK21. The glider was launched on the gliding school's rather short winch strip, but we still achieved about 1,400 feet at release. Unfortunately the thermals were neither good nor high so we did not leave the field. Rolf's friend, flying the LS4, did leave the field though and landed in a wheat field about 15 km away. So we went and retrieved him; about the only part of the glider visible above the wheat was the tail. We had to derig the glider and carry the pieces out.

Rolf then organised a “microlight” flight for John with a friend who was going for a half hour or so local flight. This was most enjoyable. Slow but with excellent visibility on a clear day. It is amazing how many towns and cities there are in this region - they almost join together. Then Ingo gave John a guided tour of the gliding school's 6 drum winch, a most interesting machine with some innovative designs. Unfortunately John had not looked at his watch and we got home just as the sun set at about 10 pm.

Frieda took Beth for some shopping and a tour of the town.

25-06-08 Wednesday.

The weather was unsuitable for gliding again so John caught up on computer work, uploaded the blog and watched a movie with Rolf and Beth

26-06-08 Thursday.

Up at 3:30 am for a 4:00 departure to Frankfurt for the 11 am flight to Dallas. It was disappointing that we were in the centre rear of cattle class and could not see out as we flew over Scotland, Greenland, Canada and the Great lakes while those who had window seats closed the blinds and ignored the view.



Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0343s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb