A Bit of Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Dortmund
July 10th 2006
Published: July 16th 2006
Edit Blog Post

People DrummingPeople DrummingPeople Drumming

Music was everywhere.
While staying in the Netherlands and keeping up with what I consider greater than the Olympics -- the World Cup -- I decided it'd be fun to see if I can catch the next game in Germany. The next match was going to be held in Dortmund on the 4th of July; better yet the teams were Germany vs. Italy, so I knew the city was going to go nuts regardles of the outcome.

The ride from Hoopsdorf, Netherlands to Dortmund was fantastic, and I was surprised to find out that there is literally no border patrol, passport checks, or any of that nonsense along the Netherlands-Germany border (similar to the Belgium-Netherlands border). The trip was very scenic until I hit Germany, and then I just focusd on appreciating the sheer speed of cars driving along the Auto-Ban. Along the way I saw literally hundreds of police cars, ambulances, and fire trucks headed towards Dortmund -- thoughts of the festivities to come brought excitement in my head, making and breaking extravagant thoughts like underpants in a dryer without Cling Free.

Dortmund


The entire city had been prepared for ridiculuos celebration. Massive projection screens spanning 40 or 50 feet had been propped up
Crowd 1Crowd 1Crowd 1

Crowd beginning to take over the streets.
all over the city on the sides of buildings in city sqares. German flag colors were seen everywhere - clothing, dyed hair, face-paint, body paint (my favorite especially on hot, naked ladies where the colors black, red, and yellow covered them from head to foot).

What I enjoyed most about the city was that it wasn't just filled with rowdy Germans (which there were alot of), but with rowdy soccer fans from all over the world. All the city's streets had to be shut down due to the awesome crowd just parading through as if it had just battled and conquered it. Australians (all wearing Australian flags as togas) would just pick random spots in the middle of roads and set down crates of beer and pre-game; Brazilians dressed in fine, fine parade-outfits, equipped with drums, danced everywhere; Italians ran around the streets with gigantic Italian flags screaming at the tops of their lungs; the French were just being French in the city's cafe's, patiently waiting for the game to start.

I loved how everyone got along so well. The only tension in the air was this honorable chivalry against the other people from different countries, though particularly
Brazillian 1Brazillian 1Brazillian 1

Brazillians dressed up dancing down the street.
Germany and Italy.

The Germans seemed like pretty decent people. Some asshole did ask me where I was from and when I said "Washington, D.C." He starting acting obnoxiously gangster doing Tony Montana impressions and asking me if I wanted any cocaine. I don't think he got it when I told him that Scarface took place in Miami, but I didn't complain when he waddled off to one of his friends soon after.

Germany Lost; 0 to 2


The city went nuts. Beer covered the streets as bottles smashed into the ground. That is all.



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

UnicycleUnicycle
Unicycle

Some guy on a unicycle trying to juggle a knife and some balls or something.
Crowd 2Crowd 2
Crowd 2

On the streets.
Crowd 6Crowd 6
Crowd 6

See how they just engulf the street.
Crowd 7Crowd 7
Crowd 7

At this point there were just people everywhere.
AustraliansAustralians
Australians

These guys just set up shop right in the middle of the road and pre-gamed.
FoamFoam
Foam

Some genius decided it'd be a good idea to soap up the fountain.
Foam 2Foam 2
Foam 2

The Statue with a German flag.
Crazy CarCrazy Car
Crazy Car

Don't know whats going on in this car...
German PrideGerman Pride
German Pride

German flags everywhere.
Crowd 9Crowd 9
Crowd 9

The game is approaching...
Good ViewGood View
Good View

People finding any means to get a good view of one of the many screens.
InsideInside
Inside

Inside a packed mall with little TVs everywhere showing the game.


Tot: 0.21s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 55; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.2mb