Koln Germany 21 and 22 September


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
September 22nd 2014
Published: September 22nd 2014
Edit Blog Post

Koln Germany - Dom Cathedral (6)Koln Germany - Dom Cathedral (6)Koln Germany - Dom Cathedral (6)

Tom, Kevin from Frankfurt and Pam
Koln Germany 21 and 22 September

We arrived in Koln at about 11.00am and found our camp site, Campingplatz Stadt Koln which was about 4 kms from the city centre, right on the banks of the River Rhine. It was an easy metro ride into the city after walking across one of the bridges over the Rhine.

This was our second visit to Koln (Cologne) so we were slowly remembering features of the city. Of course the Dom Cathedral is the centre piece of the city. Our main purpose for this visit was to catch up with our great friend from Frankfurt, Kevin, who we met in Africa. He and his dad had just come back from another trip to Kenya and saw the millions of wildebeest actually cross the river....and he saw crocodiles attack them as they crossed. They were so lucky.

We caught up with Kevin near the Cathedral. All around the cathedral were demonstrations on the environment, so lots was happening. Kevin took us to a great pub for lunch where we ate Koln dishes and drank Koln beers. The beers are served in tall, straight-sided glasses which is really unusual. We swapped stories and had a good look at some of Kevin's African photos. He is a fantastic photographer so the photos were excellent. Oh it bought a lot of memories back.

There was the grand final of the soccer in town, which Koln was in so we saw a lot of people wearing red and white scarves. We walked down by the Rhine River where there were more celebrations. Kevin told us it was World Kids Day. There were stalls, mobile stages and lots of entertainment. Children had lots of balloons and were having a great time.

We said our goodbyes to Kevin and on his advice, climbed the tower of the Dom. There were amazing views of the city from the top, which we saw after walking up 533 steps. Once back on the ground, we found a pastry shop and had a almond knot pastry and coffee. We walked through a few more of the beautiful streets of Koln before going back to the motor home.

After getting such a helpful email from Kevin that night on the best sites to see in the wider region, we decided to head towards Aachen. We only have 5 more days in our motor home so decided to make the most of it and see some more special areas in Germany. The weather continued to be good to us, even though we can feel the autumn coolness.



There is so much to see in Germany. We know we will just have to come back sometime.


Additional photos below
Photos: 28, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 23; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0515s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb