Four countries-24hrs and Nurburgring


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » North Rhine-Westphalia » Cologne
May 12th 2008
Published: May 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

[youtube=7IywMYEw7dQ][youtube=jXkoJGgK1T8][youtube=_yq5tiSK_kM][youtube=WQgTdC0F-0E]
Leaving AmsterdamLeaving AmsterdamLeaving Amsterdam

Spotted a few windmills on the train ride out of town
Talk about a big 24 - 26 hours!

We had a really lazy day on our last day in Amsterdam - Friday, and had a reasonably early night that night.

Our mission for the next two days was to get to Nurburg to have a go on the 'Nordschleife' ractrack, and then get to Paris by Sunday night to meet up with Mick.

We left Amsterdam at 10:30 Saturday morning, and arrived after lunch in Cologne where we picked up (the most expensive jalopy ever!) a hirecar. We then drove an hour or so to Nurburg and checked into our hotel.

Had a nice dinner that night, and a fairly early night, as we had to be at the racecar place at 7:30 the next morning.

Got the car, and went to the track, where Theo, the owner of the business proceeded to take me on a hair-raising ride around the ring to show me the ropes ((eg. he took two calls on his mobile, whislt overtaking slower cars, doing 200+ km/h etc.) Fair driver though......

I ended up only doing three laps of 'the ring' - which is still about half an hour of
Starting areaStarting areaStarting area

A few of the different types of cars there on the day. There was atleast 5 - 600 coars in total!
track time. There were a couple of nastier accidents apparently that required the track to be closed whilst being tidied up, so that chewed up most of the 4 hours we had.

Dropped the car back, and drove our crappy Skoda to Luxembourg airport. Got ripped of (again!) by a taxi driver taking us on the 'scenic' route from the airport to the Central staion, where we lockered our bags and spent a nice couple of hours in the old part of town and park.

The train to Paris arrived an hour early, so we got on to make the most of the comfy seats, and then had a 2 hour ride, averaging 180km/h(!!!) to Paris, where Mick was waiting for us.

Had a trip on the underground to Micks apartment, and then went out for a peek across the park to the Eiffel tower, and dinner. A very big 36 hours!

P.S. mis-labelled a couple of videos - TGV is Paris,and vice versa.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

The BeastThe Beast
The Beast

Here's a shot of me looking excited and nervous at the same time, just before my first run on the Nordschleife
SurvivedSurvived
Survived

Scott looking a lot more relaxed now that he's driven the track and lived to tell the tale. The scenery, as you can see in the background, was beautiful in the area.
Central ParkCentral Park
Central Park

Went for a nice walk through the centre of Luxembourg (where we passed through on the way to Paris.) There was a fantastic park, right through the centre of the city, down in a 'ravine'
TGV Bullet trainTGV Bullet train
TGV Bullet train

This is the bullet train we got from Luxembourg to Paris. Must have clocked 250-300km/h at some points - cool!


12th May 2008

Great ride!
Mate, you've got one of the best ride of life ever...
12th May 2008

Nurburg Ring video
Just wait untill mum sees that. You guys are in so much TROUBLE!!!
16th May 2008

Ahem
Oh my God Kerryn actually appeared in a clip and spoke. I was afraid that she had contracted the dreaded continental invisible mute disease!!

Tot: 0.039s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 26; dbt: 0.0222s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb