Sunny Schwerin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Mecklenburg-Vorpommern » Schwerin
July 15th 2006
Published: July 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Recently we haven’t been exploring much of Germany, partly due to the World Cup and people being rather slack. But this weekend we decided to get off our butts and see some beautiful part of Germany that was yet to be explored.

So waking up on a beautiful sunny morning we got ready and met at the Hauptbahnhof ready for our adventures. Our destination was Schwerin, which is in the North-East of Germany. So we caught our first train to Hamburg, had a twenty five minute wait, in which we had a quick look in the shops nearby. We then caught out second train to Schwerin. We arrived there at approx. 1.30pm and set off.

We followed our map to find the castle (which was unfortunately being restored, so the exterior was ruined with scaffolding). On the way we stopped for some photo opportunities which Rog can’t resist . We looked at the exterior of the castle for some time then crossed the bridge to have a look inside. Half way across the bridge we came across ‘1984’ made out of black stones in the footpath . We don’t know the exact reason for the date but we had to take a photo since it is my year of birth.

Then we went inside and had a look around. We were able to look at 26 rooms within the castle of the 6 hundred and something rooms that are there. We walked through the throne room which was really cool (unfortunately no photography was allowed - sorry guys!).

After this we went outside to have a look at the castle gardens . They were really beautiful. Perfectly manicured hedges created maze like borders for flowers (sorry there is no picture no.7 - it wouldn't load) and shrubs. Statues of angels guarded the gardens and created quite a nice look . There were 2 levels in the garden with steps taking you to the lower level on each side and columns creating a courtyard type garden down below with a water fountain at the edge of the lower garden . From here we went and looked at the Grotto , which was cool. It backed out onto the lake that surrounded the castle, where the locals were all enjoying the sun in their boats. We sat and relax for a minute or so then rejoined our group. By this stage we were all hot and thirsty, so with a café in mind we set off. We were going to go to the castle café which was on the bottom level of the gardens under a beautiful big old tree , but it looked rather expensive so we opted for a café in town. So we headed back to town, stoping one last time for a group shot in front of the castle.

Heading back into town we chose a café in the Marktplatz and rested for a while before strolling back to the Hauptbahnhof for the journey home.



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.204s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 10; qc: 76; dbt: 0.0871s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb