Hannover - a rainy stopover


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Lower Saxony » Hannover
May 29th 2010
Published: July 14th 2010
Edit Blog Post

When we arrived in Hannover and left the train station we thought we were going a bit crazy because we could hear strange echoey music and it sounded like it was coming out the drains. We later figured out that radio music was coming out of vents/speakers within the light poles. Very weird! After we dumped our bags and headed out for a walk. It started absolutely POURING down! Luckily we stumbled upon a fete which was just packing up but the beer and food stands were still open. Huddling under the beer stand was the perfect setting for our first German sausage and beer! We were introduced to currywurst and have since become great friends! It’s a bratwurst with curry powder and tomato sauce - yum!

When the rain eased we had a wander around town and had our first glimpse of German buildings which are very different to any we’ve seen so far. We found some pretty cool sights including the old town hall (1455), the market church (1349) and another church (Aegidienkirche) which is in ruins after the war but left as a memorial. We decided to head out again in the morning and have another look around these sites in slightly better weather! We also walked along the river past some cool artwork by a French lady called Niki De Saint Phalle Grotto , through the lovely Masch Park and past the Maschsee which is a big lake.

Hannover was just a quick stop over and ended up being a nice way to break up the trip to Berlin.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Neues RathausNeues Rathaus
Neues Rathaus

New Town Hall, view across MaschPark.
Our first BiergartenOur first Biergarten
Our first Biergarten

But not our last :)


Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 17; qc: 67; dbt: 0.0765s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb