Schapener Volkslauf und die Riddagshausen Klosterkirche


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Lower Saxony » Braunschweig
September 12th 2010
Published: September 12th 2010
Edit Blog Post

Today Rolf and Rosa (my mentor teacher and his wife) were scheduled to volunteer at a Volkslauf (road-race) in Schapen (a local town). We got up quite early and went to Schapen and were oriented with all the other volunteers. AND, in true German fashion we were all given bright yellow vests with safety reflectors to wear with special stickers denoting what jobs we were assigned to do. We were assigned to watch runners and make sure that they were running on the correct path. The actual route was a half marathon and went through a nearby state park. We got back in the car and drove to our post.

On the path to our post, we passed by the nature preserve and fed some local deer chestnuts. The deer don't look like our deer, though, they look kinda like an elk, too. After a few minutes of watching the runners/walkers go by, I decided to walk to the nearby monastery. I had to take a separate small trail which took me by several ponds that are used for fish farming. I the fall, they drain them, catch all the fish and move them into tanks. They are then sold throughout the winter. Speaking of winter - the pond freezes completely then, and is used for ice skating!

The Monastery has a big, beautiful garden in back and lies next to an enormous hayfield. I was not allowed inside because services were going on, but the pictures of the outside are really beautiful. The monastery dates back to 1100, so it was pretty cool to see something so old.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2077151&id=28304250&l=11210d575e

After walking back next to the hayfield rather than the ponds, we saw the last of the runners come through our post. We went back to the starting point in the car and when we got there, Germany cheerleaders were performing! There were only about 8 of them plus one man, but there were also little girls there, too. Cheerleading is not as popular as it is here in the states, so there were technically, just OK.

We got our meal tickets and ate bratwurst for lunch (yes, I am learning to eat sausage) and then came back to their house.

Fun Fact - Germans have coffee everyday, punctually at three o'clock. I have tea.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.243s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb