Cruising the Rhine


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hesse » Frankfurt
July 10th 2008
Published: July 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

After yet another stress-free train trip we arrived in Frankfurt, which has probably the most impressive looking central station building I have seen so far. Even better than the station building was the fact that our hostel was directly over the road making it the shortest walk to accommodation so far, and when you are carrying over 20kg's worth of stuff that is an incredible relief. Once at the hostel we discovered they had conveniently lost our reservation but were able to accommodate us in the same type of room for less than we initally thought. Then it was off to find a laundromat to do the weeks worth of washing which to be honest is just becoming a pain in the butt.
The following day Tamsin and I went into the centre of town which was only a short walk away and decided it was time to buy some books. It turned out there is an English language book section in one of their large bookstores, however the staff member in that section didn't speak english which made things interesting when she tried to tell us they don't accept credit cards. After that was all sorted we headed to the nearby Old Town part of Frankfurt for a milkshake, then it was off to the river to read our newly purchased books.
On our third day in Frankfurt we got on the train and headed for a little town called Bingen-Stadt in the Rhine River. From here we got on a ferry and spent the next four hours cruising along the Rhine marvelling at all the ruined and not so ruined castles that line the river. As holders of a Eurail pass this cruise turned out to be free which is always a bonus and made for an incredibly cheap day (good when you have a tight budget).
The last thing we did in Frankfurt was take a walk to the business district and take a look at the giant Euro symbol, afterall you can't visit Frankfurt and not see the birthplace of the Euro!

Advertisement



Tot: 0.124s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 11; qc: 44; dbt: 0.1019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb