Hamburg


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Hamburg » Hamburg
August 9th 2012
Published: August 9th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0

Hamburg


Our final stop in Germany was to Hamburg, home of Europe’s largest red light district and second largest port. On our first night there we took the subway to go see Rathaus in Old Town and emerged to.... China time! A festival in the middle of the town hall square full of red lanterns and Asian trinkets. Even though Binnson claims that “It’s always China time!” we happily walked around inside. Along with China time, comes this big dragon statue that appears once every two years in the square that I forced Binnson to get his picture with (see photos). Moving on from there, we headed down the Alsterarkaden which was lined with shops, hotels, big malls, and restaurants along a water front.

We had read something about Chile Haus and decided to go find it when it appeared on two different sightseeing maps and the Lonely Planet as a place to check out. We were surprised when we go there to see that it was just a big old building.... I guess it had a cool shape but I’m not sure that it is map worthy. On the way we passed by many churches that I always take pictures of and after we went for a walk around the water side. Considering Hamburg is the second largest city in Germany, it seemed like a ghost town to us as we wandered the streets almost entirely alone except for traffic. We headed back to the buzzing lounge at our hotel for some wifi and Olympic action. We have seen almost no Canadian action in the Olympics so far as the coverage is really centered on the German team but sometimes we catch them in the highlights if they have won something or have been beaten by the Germans.

The next day, we headed down to the Speicherstadt and walked around the big harbour and the little gift shops there. We continued on our trek up to the famous St. Pauli Reeperbahn but with it only being late afternoon we were disappointed by the lack of hookers. So we carried on to the Fischmarkt back by the water side and then ended up walking around Alton for a while before grabbing a train back to Hauptbahnhof and back to the hotel for a break. We had planned to return to Reeperbahn later when there was probably a lot more action but opted out deciding that a hooker is a hooker and we have seen plenty. So instead we made last minute arrangements to go to Belgium for the last couple days of the trip before we head back to Calgary!


Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

McD's veggie burger.. McD's veggie burger..
McD's veggie burger..

I'm still skeptical so Binnson tried it... he approves.


9th August 2012

Good Call
I say good call on the Veggie Burger . . .

Tot: 0.164s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 22; qc: 96; dbt: 0.1225s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb