Potsdam / Hannover, Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Brandenburg » Potsdam
June 11th 2008
Published: June 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

June 10, 2008

June 10, 2008

Potsdan / Hannover, Germany

A short drive today from Berlin to Hannover via Potsdam and Brandenburg. More nice country and gets more interesting the closer you get to Potsdam.

The Potsdam, Brandenburg area is very beautiful with forest and lakes and a lot of 4 - 5 star resorts to service the many tourists. Most come to see the many castles and palaces that were built here over a few hundred years. The lakes and canals make for a very nice setting.

We spent some time checking out the main castle area with the old and new palaces of the last reigning Prussians. The new palace is very large but we didn't tour the inside of this one. The busiest tour is of the Old Palace of Frederick The Great that is about 250 years old. Palace is called “Schloss Sanssouci” ( place with no cares ). This one we did take the inside tour as well as spending some time looking around the beautiful grounds and gardens. The Park Sanssouci is a very large park that contains the old castle and the new castle and many other beautiful buildings that are all part of the royal summer place. The royals spent a lot of time here particularly in the summer to get away from the busy Berlin. Again, it's hard to believe what lengths these guys would go to be “ comfortable.”

For some one really into castles and palaces you could spend weeks roaming around the many sites in just this immediate area.

Our stay in Hannover was overnight and we didn't find a lot of interesting things to do for tourists so we drove directly the next morning to Dusseldorf.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0473s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb