Berlin Beauty


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin
September 3rd 2019
Published: September 3rd 2019
Edit Blog Post

Victory Monument Victory Monument Victory Monument

You can climb to the top for a panoramic view.
Started the day at a leisurely pace. The weather was much cooler so the cardy came out of the case. Headed towards the station and the rain started so as luck would have it there was an on-off bus stop near the hotel. Staying in East Berlin.

Berlin is a fascinating city. It’s history is expressed in 3 ways. Establishment/ pre Reich, war time and the third Reich and thirdly, post 1989 when the fall off the wall occurred. It’s a city of sad history but now is a city of vibrancy, museums and art. Everywhere you go you experience history and memory often honoured to avoid it happening again. It’s not forgotten but Berlin is now a city with a focus on peace.

It is also a shopping Mecca. There are shopping plazas above and below ground as well as the German version of Champs Élysées with every top label you could name. A shop called KaWaDe is like Harrods with the most amazing massive food floor. A cashmere jumper was $1600. Only shop I’ve been in as I was interested in the food hall.

It is also a fashion Mecca. Different to Paris- practical and individual.
Location of the Berlin WallLocation of the Berlin WallLocation of the Berlin Wall

These paved areas are all over to remind them of the fall of the wall. For Berlin residents it was the Wall of Shame
It’s a very alive city.

The memorials here are sobering and as an Aussie it’s hard to even imagine it happening. In WW2, 70% of Berlin’s was down to rubble. But now it has lovely gardens, a strong focus on education and restorative work everywhere. And alive along the river.

Schools and universities have gone back this week so it’s very busy with young, fresh faces experiencing orientation around the city. No doubt beer sales will go up this week.

It’s also a cycling city. They are everywhere weaving in and out of traffic when no specified bike lane- AND NO HELMETS!!! Electric scooters are big as well.

Met a lovely Australian couple from Melbourne at dinner. They are doing a similar independent package to me.

So now it’s plan for tomorrow and hit the pillow.
Suzanne



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Remainder of a Church damaged in WW2Remainder of a Church damaged in WW2
Remainder of a Church damaged in WW2

This has been made a memorial from the war





The Berlin Bear The Berlin Bear
The Berlin Bear

These are all over Berlin painted in different ways.


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb