Berlin - an extraordinary place.


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
June 12th 2015
Published: June 16th 2015
Edit Blog Post

Brandenburg GateBrandenburg GateBrandenburg Gate

Iron Cross and Eagle of power aloft.
Where do I start to blog about Berlin, a city so central to the history and perhaps the future of Europe? This would be my second visit to the capital of Germany and Jeanette's first. My first was a brief business trip with no spare time. We were in Germany a few years ago but not anywhere near Berlin so we decided to take a guided walking tour of the city which lasted nearly five hours. Our guide, of English and Indian heritage, lives here and has a clear passion for history having got her degree in ancient history.

She basically covered 800 years of German history starting with the establishment of Prussia. Many important figures dominated the history but Frederick the Great probably influenced this country more than any other and even to this day, his legacy lives on. I believe that his grave is in Potsdam but I have a picture of his monument in this blog. He is important for several reasons but was a very contradictory ruler. A lover of egalitarianism and the arts, he was nevertheless the warrior king conquering and uniting the disparate parts of the country into the one powerful state of Prussia. Adolf Hitler modelled himself after him.

Obviously and inescapably, the sites which draw the most attention are those connected in one way or another with the Nazis. Historically that is important but the enjoyment of Berlin also comes from appreciating the incredible task of rebuilding this important city in the years that followed the war. Also, it is interesting that most of what people want to see lies in what was East Berlin.

Berlin does not deserve brevity but neither do you, the reader, deserve anything written here which does less than full justice to it in every sense. I find it exceedingly challenging even to attempt that task. Therefore I am going to leave you simply with my impression and opinion mostly, while encouraging those who have not yet visited to do so when in Europe. In all honesty I myself should have devoted more time to this visit.

As I walked along, listened and tried to absorb the significance of what has and is being rebuilt here, I admire this nation. I can literally feel the pulse of power emanating from this city when I look at the symbolism of the structures around me, as the German glory of the past is projected throughout. It is difficult to extricate the relics of World War 11 from one's consciousness because they are a tremendous draw for visitors but in my humble opinion, there is a great deal more to appreciate here besides that aspect. These are just some of the sites we visited: The Berlin Wall, Brandenburg Gate, Checkpoint Charlie, Reichstag building, Nazi Air Ministry (covering an entire block and clearly visible from the air, it was not bombed by the Allies. My theory is that they wanted to preserve what they knew was in there. Scientists like Von Braun, the father of the US rocket program must have worked in here), Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe, Bebelplatz (site of Nazi book burning), site of SS and Gestapo Headquarters, Humbolt University and the impressive War Memorial. We even stood in the car park standing above Hitler's bunker. They do not want to dispel the past, as reminders are everywhere you turn and especially the Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe which occupies a whole block, in my view acknowledging that those who forget their history are more likely to repeat it.

We enjoyed the efficiency, order, cleanliness and politeness of the citizens from the moment we landed at the airport, especially when compared to some of the more laid back countries on the continent. The cosmopolitan backdrop to Berlin may surprise many but it is most appealing to see and hear the colours and sounds of people from all over the world in this vibrant metropolis.

Whether it was the elegant Italian restaurant near our hotel, breakfast from our hotel terrace, street food or ice cream in the city centre from one of the numerous little shops, it was all just great. This city has taken on an appeal and an attitude that seems to say to everyone, "Come, enjoy our reunited city and be part of our free and open society."

My question is, that while this country welcomes different peoples from across the planet, what global role will it play in the distant future, as powers such as the US continue to be weakened by economic drain, internal social disintegration and weariness of policing the planet? When I look at and think of the monument which sits at the top of the Brandenburg Gate which no longer has
Nazi Air Ministry.Nazi Air Ministry.Nazi Air Ministry.

Used by GDR after the war. Mural painted along wall depicting Communist ideology.
the olive branch but the Iron Cross and Eagle of power, I wonder. Of course I speculate, perhaps wildly, but please form your own conclusions.

Brussels may be the centre of the European Union but in my opinion, the power of Europe lies right here in Berlin and nowhere else.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 25


Advertisement

Berlin Wall near Air Ministry.Berlin Wall near Air Ministry.
Berlin Wall near Air Ministry.

Standing on the site of demolished SS a d Gestapo Headquarters, now an indoor/outdoor museum.
Air Ministry occupies an entire block.Air Ministry occupies an entire block.
Air Ministry occupies an entire block.

This building was not destroyed by Allied bombing. Curious! My theory - it housed vital information about the V2 rocket. Thousands of scientists were seized by the Soviets and US, including Von Braun, father of the US Apolo project.
Standing over Hitler's bunker.Standing over Hitler's bunker.
Standing over Hitler's bunker.

There will be no memorial to this man.
The War MemorialThe War Memorial
The War Memorial

This comprises these two figures only. A father/mother figure perhaps, cradling some helpless soul. It is left to the individual to interpret it as is felt.
Golden Crown & Frédéric the Great's Palace.Golden Crown & Frédéric the Great's Palace.
Golden Crown & Frédéric the Great's Palace.

Completion of the renovation is scheduled for 2019. This was the winter residence of the Kings of Prussia and later the emperors of Germany.
Old Museum (Altes) built 1823 -1830 by SchinkelOld Museum (Altes) built 1823 -1830 by Schinkel
Old Museum (Altes) built 1823 -1830 by Schinkel

Shinkel's work dominates Berlin's architecture.
Berlin CathedralBerlin Cathedral
Berlin Cathedral

First built in 1451.


17th June 2015

Berlin
When I went there, what impressed me the most was the museum at Checkpoint Charlie, the courage and creativity that people had who wanted to escape
19th June 2015

Berlin is worth a visit !
Hi Roger and Jeanette, Glad to read you are enjoying Europe, as both Darlene and myself are also facinated by the rich many century old History of this city. We have been there many times and are discovering more every time. Without the 12 years of mad Hitler regime, it would stand as one of the shining and glamerous cities of Europe. Thanks for sharing your impressions, as be have similiar thoughts, specially as family used to reside their over many decades before and after the 2. World War. And yes, the city was in rubbles afterwards, the same as Dresden. Personally have known one of the US Airforce commanders, who ordered the bombing missions over Germany from Iceland. Germany and Europe owe lots to the Allies for having liberated them, otherwise Europe would be a very different world today. We all have our experiences with the railroadsystem, wishing you continued fun travelling...... Manfred
23rd June 2015

Berlin
We really loved our week in Berlin and have thought about going back and renting an apartment for a couple of months. We really liked the vibe.
13th July 2015

Extraordinary city
Truly extraordinary. Makes me feel like visiting. You write so well

Tot: 0.425s; Tpl: 0.014s; cc: 16; qc: 68; dbt: 0.0792s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb