Sachsenhausen & Stadium


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
August 18th 2011
Published: July 1st 2014
Edit Blog Post

We woke up and went straight to the train station. We rode the train to a town called Orianenburg where the Sachsenhausen concentration camp is. We had a tour around and found out some awful stories. I won't go into detail but you can imagine the kind of things we saw there. There were also huge memorials built on the camps grounds. We climbed up a watchtower to look out on the camp. A fascinating place to visit but it really makes you think about the terrible goings-on.

We then took the train to the Olympic Park for some happier thoughts. The controversial Berlin Olympics were held in 1936. It was rather contradicting realising that while these games took place,the Sachsenhausen camp was being built just up the road.

We walked around the stadium which is now used as football grounds and also to the rather impressive outdoor swimming pool. There was a plaque on a wall commemorating athletes that took part in the games including the famous Jesse Owens.

A short train ride then took us back into Berlin center. KaDeWe was our next destination. A HUGE shopping mall which is one of the biggest in Europe. Similar to that of Harrdos with luxury goods on each floor. There is also a restaurant on the top floor. We ate dinner there and returned to our hotel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.057s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0321s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb