Germany


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
June 12th 2008
Published: June 12th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Our Hotel FrankfurtOur Hotel FrankfurtOur Hotel Frankfurt

4 flights of stairs to climb to our room at the top.
Tuesday 3rd June - Friday 6th June

We arrived in Frankfurt around midday and headed to our hotel. The plane had been delayed by six hours so it meant we were arriving at a more civilised time as opposed to 6am that we were meant too.

After negotiating public transport again (tricky when its in German and your tired from the flight) we found our hotel. It also had a shared bathroom (a pain) and our room was right at the top of a three story stair climb.

We then had a look around Frankfurt. There didn’t seem that much to see so we walked around and checked out the scenery. I found a street café which was good place to have a couple of German beers and watch the world go by.

Our sleep that night as not good, the 6 hour time change had knocked our sleeping patterns well off balance and we ended up waking at 2 and not getting too much sleep. The next day we headed to Berlin by train (using our rail passes for the first time.) The train was comfortable and quick with the journey taking about 4 hours. Once we got there we found our hotel (which was a little bit out in the suburbs,) unpacked and went exploring Berlin.

We went down to the Oberbaum bridge where trace of the Berlin wall run. It was a good place for a feed (and some beer) and neat to walk along section of the graffiti covered wall (quite historic.) Future travellers can view our message that we added. After this we walked towards the TV tower (a funny looking 300m tower built in East Germany in 1968) but found it was a long way away and headed back to the hotel.

The next day we slept late (as it took to about 5am to fall asleep) and then explored Berlin further. We went to the Reichstag, Brandenburg Gate, TV Tower and the memorial church. We also found time to stop and had some refreshments along the way. Berlin is a neat city, it not too expensive, its not too rushed nor to quiet and there is plenty to see.

The next day we checked out and went and visited a local mall. During this time we were able to sample some local German food including the Brockwurst (sausage) which was very good. We looked around Berlin, had a couple of drinks and tried to fill in the time as our train was not leaving till 12:30am.

Eventually it was time to leave and we boarded our train (a night train with bunks to sleep on,) bid Auf Wiedersehen to Germany and headed off to Amsterdam.





Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0612s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb