Summertime Travels - Part 2


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
June 1st 2008
Published: June 2nd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Beer and CurrywurstBeer and CurrywurstBeer and Currywurst

Both specialties of Berlin
Leg 2 - Germany!

We were originally just going to go to Munich, but after prices shot up for airfare from Stockholm to Munich, we added Berlin (a cheaper flight plus a night train to Munich was still less than the cost of Stockholm-Munich) into the mix. I'm really glad we did because it was such an interesting and historically rich town.

Our challenge was to see how much of Berlin we could see in one day, and I think we succeeded. Right off the bat we went to "Checkpoint Charlie", the checkpoint that was used to cross from the American sector of Berlin to the Soviet section.

After a quick frappacino at a Starbucks (yes, I broke down... it's only been my second Starbucks trip in Europe though) we did kind of a walking tour on our own. We saw a lot of statues and memorials dedicated to the war victims and celebrating the liberation of Berlin from foreign control. Because a lot of Berlin was destroyed during the war, original historical buildings and architecture were actually pretty hard to come by, unlike the rest of Europe. But it is really interesting when you do get a
Checkpoint CharlieCheckpoint CharlieCheckpoint Charlie

There were panels all along where the checkpoint used to be which basically described the whole history of Berlin as a divided city.
chance to view the remaining historical landmarks that mix with the contemporary style that is now Berlin. You almost get the feeling that the innovative/creative sculptures, buildings, and landmarks is Berlin's attempt to create a new name for itself and a way to show its progression away from its divided past. Also on our list of landmarks that we hit were the Berlin Wall, the Brandenburg Gate, and the Reichstag.

My indulgence in Berlin? 40 euro Birkenstocks! Very cheap compared to the 100 dollars you can drop on a pair in the States. I love them. I almost bought two pair but yes, I do have SOME self control... even if it is just a smidgen...

We took a night train to Munich (which is something I've wanted to do in Europe so now I can check that off my lifetime to-do list!) and arrived there at about 6:40 in the morning. We freshened up a bit at our hostel and then hopped on a train to go to Dachau. It was a little awkward asking which train to take to get to the concentration camp, responses were only a little warmer than icy, and I'm not sure
"You are now entering the American Sector""You are now entering the American Sector""You are now entering the American Sector"

The original sign indicating the American border has been kept in tact. Berlin was split into 4 sectors after WWII: French, British, American, and Soviet. You can now get your passport stamped at Checkpoint Charlie for all four sectors (for a price... of course.)
if this reaction is fueled by shame, embarrassment, or just indignation that the concentration camps are a main tourist point for anyone who visits Germany. But honestly it was an eye-opening experience and I wouldn't dissuade anyone from going.

I posted some pictures, but it's almost impossible to describe the sobering atmosphere and the intense emotional weight that Dachau bestows upon its visitors.

We spent about 5 hours at the camp. Add that to the travel time there and back, and our day was pretty much over. So, needless to say, we didn't get to see much of Munich, actually. We did, however, walk down to a pretty lively area to eat some great Mediterranean/Italian food, go to an Australian bar, and see a little bit of Munich by night.








Additional photos below
Photos: 42, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Taxi tourTaxi tour
Taxi tour

We saw all kinds of crazy things in Berlin. This was a tour company that allows its guests to drive their own crazily-painted car around the city in a big caravan behind a tour guide.
Berlin MarketBerlin Market
Berlin Market

This market was a step up from your standard sidewalk arts market. Every booth had original and creative pieces of art including 3-D mousepads, mixed-media paintings, stainless steel gadgets, and these sand-art things that I can't even describe (I did splurge on this...)
CathedralCathedral
Cathedral

A Cathedral that managed to avoid the damage of WWII.
Modern CathedralModern Cathedral
Modern Cathedral

This is a perfect example of how Berlin is a mixture of old and new... this Cathedral felt futuristic.
Old/NewOld/New
Old/New

Another perfect example of the contrast of historic and modern in this city.
Bridge next to the Berlin WallBridge next to the Berlin Wall
Bridge next to the Berlin Wall

The bridge has almost a medieval feel to it, and is literally right next to the Berlin wall. Such an eclectic town!
On the BridgeOn the Bridge
On the Bridge

Damon and I.
Berlin WallBerlin Wall
Berlin Wall

The Berlin Wall was created by the Soviets to separate themselves from the non-communist powers holding control over the other sectors of Berlin. Those in the poverty-stricken Soviet-ruled East Berlin were rarely even allowed passage into the thriving West Berlin.
Money-Making SchemeMoney-Making Scheme
Money-Making Scheme

They now sell small pieces of the wall for 12 - 15 euro... I passed.
VW superstoreVW superstore
VW superstore

We even visited what seemed to be the Volkswagen headquarters and this... very fast car as I was told... was on display.
Vans get a makeover!Vans get a makeover!
Vans get a makeover!

This VW Van is actually a camper and a van rolled into one! The apparatus on top is actually a fold-down bed, and what you can't see is the fridge, stove, and sink that are below it!
Ampelmann StoreAmpelmann Store
Ampelmann Store

"Ampelmann" is the cartoon-like character on their signals for "Walk" and "Don't Walk" in Berlin.


Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.019s; cc: 11; qc: 47; dbt: 0.0754s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb