Day Three - Escape from East Berlin


Advertisement
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
December 22nd 2007
Published: February 25th 2008
Edit Blog Post

I seemed to have adjusted very quickly to the time change because noise outside our window last night kept me up for awhile. But since we slept in again (until 8:30) I felt well-rested when we headed downstairs for the Big Breakfast. Gail and I ended-up watching about half an hour of Lassie on TV as we waited and waited for Tyler to wake-up, shower and make himself beautiful. The breakfast room... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 39, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

They're Taking Over EuropeThey're Taking Over Europe
They're Taking Over Europe

They once enthralled me, but with them sprouting up everywhere around Europe I'm starting to think they are a blight on the landscape. But still, I think Gail took a great photo here as night began to fall. Too bad that stupid car got in the picture, but at this point we were stuck in a traffic jam.
The Nosy FamilyThe Nosy Family
The Nosy Family

While creeping through this part of the Autobahn outside Leipzig that white van kept passing us, then falling behind as our lane sped up. The family inside seemed utterly fascinated by us or our shiny Opel. They just stared daggers at us whenever they drew near us. We started to put on our own show whenever they came by: We pretended we were all asleep (including me), then we all stuck our fingers up our noses and we acted like we were having a dance party in our van.
Downtown Colditz at NightDowntown Colditz at Night
Downtown Colditz at Night

When we finally got to Colditz we were starving, but we couldn't eat anywhere until we found an ATM. At the opposite end of this little town square we found a rather modern bank with a big room full of money dispensers.
Dinner at Sophien KlauseDinner at Sophien Klause
Dinner at Sophien Klause

Ralf directed us here. The sign was lit, a few lights were on inside, but no one seemed to be home as we knocked, then pounded on the front door. I really glad we persisted because we had a great meal.
A Glass of the Local BrewA Glass of the Local Brew
A Glass of the Local Brew

Actually I TRIED to order the local beer, but the proprietor told us it was awful and suggested this beer from Northern Germany instead. It was average for a German beer which means back home Gilde Ratskeller would be the best in town. A tiny bit bitter, I prefer a wheat beer.
Trying to Make the Proper ChoiceTrying to Make the Proper Choice
Trying to Make the Proper Choice

For a little restaurant in an out-of-the-way place like Colditz, the Sophienklause had a remarkably varied menu. There were at least twenty pages of foods and drinks. And even though the primary focus was on German cuisine, there were a surprising number of Irish dishes. The decor in the room also reflected the owner's interest in things Irish.
Beer and GulaschsuppeBeer and Gulaschsuppe
Beer and Gulaschsuppe

On this rather cold, damp and chilling night a nice bowl of Gulaschsuppe sounded perfect. We all ordered some along with our beers.
Time for Another RoundTime for Another Round
Time for Another Round

Service wasn't slow at the Sophien Klause but we were very very thirsty. Tyler and Gen quaffed their half liter glasses before the main course was served.
Switching to a Tastier PoisonSwitching to a Tastier Poison
Switching to a Tastier Poison

I had read through our menus too quickly when I ordered my first beer. When I discovered that the restaurant also served a Weissbier from the Andechs Monastery, I felt like it was Christmas already. That monastery is considered holy ground in the world of beer connoiseurs and their opinion was good enough for me. It turned out to be the second best beer of the trip (the wheat beer at Ettal is still my favorite).
Once Again Cassie Doesn't Want Her Picture TakenOnce Again Cassie Doesn't Want Her Picture Taken
Once Again Cassie Doesn't Want Her Picture Taken

For some stupid reason (like maybe we were too hungry to stop) we never took a picture of our meals, but trust me, it was delicious and sumptuous. After dinner we sipped more beer while Cassie acted goofy and did her best to deny Gail a decent picture of her.
Now Our More Mature Child Gets into the ActNow Our More Mature Child Gets into the Act
Now Our More Mature Child Gets into the Act

It was a good thing we were the only people in the restaurant because we started to have a little too much fun.
Cassie's Having a Good TimeCassie's Having a Good Time
Cassie's Having a Good Time

She wasn't even drinking but for some reason Cassie actually cracked a smile. I must've spilled something or had beer foam in my mustache.
Die Rechnung, bitte!Die Rechnung, bitte!
Die Rechnung, bitte!

Here's a copy of our dinner bill. Looks like we ran up a nice bar tab. I love the way the Germans incorporate the tip into the bill. You just round up a couple Euros to make it a generous tip.
Maybe It's Time to LeaveMaybe It's Time to Leave
Maybe It's Time to Leave

With a great meal and some delicious libations under our belts, we spent the greater part of the evening showing-off our photos taken thus far in the trip. The proprietor left us on our own until we sought him out to pay the bill. We told him just how much we enjoyed dinner and promised to return soon.
A Late Night Stroll through ColditzA Late Night Stroll through Colditz
A Late Night Stroll through Colditz

We bundled-up then left the now empty Sophienklause. We decided to take a little hike up to the top of the castle hill. Like virtually every old vaguely historic building, Colditz Castle was well lit with floodlights. Next door to the castle was this church.
The View from the TopThe View from the Top
The View from the Top

From where we stood just outside the castle entrance we were unable to really get a decent night photo of Colditz Castle. We were too close and the view of the castle interior was obstructed by the compound wall. The most important thing we learned while up there was that the castle would be open for business on the next morning. These steps led back down into the town square and to our hotel.
The Colditz Town Christmas PyramidThe Colditz Town Christmas Pyramid
The Colditz Town Christmas Pyramid

The little town square was tastefully decorated with sprigs of greenery and whitle Christmas lights on most of the buildings. In the center of the town square sat this oversized Christmas pyramid.
Time for BedTime for Bed
Time for Bed

When we returned to the pension Ralf was nowhere to be seen. We had the run of the top floor. Just as we headed for our rooms Cassie decided she didn't want to sleep in my room. She moved her suitcase and herself to the third bed in Gail's and her mother's room. Fine with me. I was asleep long before any of the others even settled into their rooms. As the trip chauffeur I felt I needed every second of sleep I could grab. The others had all day to nap in the van.



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 19; dbt: 0.0402s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb