Berlin


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Berlin » Berlin
September 15th 2007
Published: October 8th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Berlin

The pension Rheinghold hotel where we were staying was situated to end of an exclusive shopping area in the ·Potsdamer Platz. Once we had checked into our rooms, Eniko took us to her favourite traditional German restaurant where a whole range of local German delicacies were on offer. First a large tankard of German wheat beer was enjoyed while we selected our meals. Highlights of the meal were warm camembert cheese with cranberry sauce starter which we shared, followed by a rabbit stew in a rich beer sauce.

After dinner Carl & I left the girls at a Cuban restaurant and headed into town to try and find an Irish bar showing the England v South Africa world cup rugby game. In our attempt to find a sports bar it seemed that no one even heard of the Rugby in Germany, let alone would screen it? After a struggle we found the Irish bar, but unfortunately the end result was the Springbok smashing England 36, nil. The bonus was the bar had live music, with typified German cheese 1960’s pop songs with the lead singer grinning through his bushy moustache, brought on by his tight leather pants?! Before we got back to the hotel we called into the Cuban bar for a night cap, where Latin/American German’s smoked the biggest Cuban cigars found outside of Cuba.

The following morning we all headed into the city centre after a continental breakfast to experience the Berlin Fat Tyre Bike Tour. Our guide, an American called Marietta, set us up with our bikes which for Roxy and I (because Roxy doesn’t cycle) was to be a tandem. After an shaky start we navigated our way around the city passing iconic sites such as the Brandenburg Gate, Reichstag Parliament buildings, Check Point Charlie and what is remaining of the Berlin wall.

Mariette combined good historical knowledge with a splattering of fun to include everyone using their unique Bozo clown bell horn and a stop off at the Tiergarten park café for a beer and German sausage. This was a great bike trip passing some amazing sites.

The following morning Fremont and I headed back into town with the our wish list of places to further explore, which we spotted on the bike ride. On negotiating the underground system we encountered a busking duo from Belarus, as we made our
Berlin WallBerlin WallBerlin Wall

What remains of the Berlin Wall
way to the Reichstag parliament buildings, where we climbed up to the modern futuristic dome for amazing views of the city. We also walked to the Brandenburg Gate and visited the monument for the murdered Jews of Europe who lost their lives at the hand of the Nazis during the war.

During the evening Roxy and I planned to go to a live music club, but after meeting up Carl and Kate at the Irish bar we stayed in this area for the evening, where we enjoyed German meal in an authentic restaurant next door. To finish off the evening we all ended back at Kate and Carls for a game of trumps, more beer and pretzels.




Additional photos below
Photos: 15, Displayed: 15


Advertisement

Berlin Wall Look Out TowerBerlin Wall Look Out Tower
Berlin Wall Look Out Tower

Last remaining look out tower
Check Point CharlieCheck Point Charlie
Check Point Charlie

Where West Berlin met East Berlin up until Liberation in 1989
Unique East German Taffic LightsUnique East German Taffic Lights
Unique East German Taffic Lights

Hat wearing boy depicts East German pedestrian crossing
East German Pedestrian CrossingEast German Pedestrian Crossing
East German Pedestrian Crossing

Green walker for safe crossing.
Promoting East GermanyPromoting East Germany
Promoting East Germany

An example of a number of posters seen at railways stations etc promoting East German development
The Cupola DomeThe Cupola Dome
The Cupola Dome

Set on top of the Reichstag building the Cupola offers panoramic views of Berlin.


Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.051s; cc: 14; qc: 72; dbt: 0.0849s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb