German Neighbors


Advertisement
Germany's flag
Europe » Germany » Bavaria
December 18th 2007
Published: December 25th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We live in a German neighborhood, which means meeting German neighbors. We were lucky enough to be introduced to our next-door neighbors through our landlord. We are thrilled to have such wonderful people living next to us! They are, without a doubt, the DeGaetano’s of Germany!


They came over on Monday to bring cookies and compliment our weekend cleaning spree! They have since brought us a calendar showing the town’s recycling/garbage pick-up schedule, flyers from local stores offering sales, an IKEA catalog (!!), locally brewed beer, more cleaning supplies, directions to a nearby “PETCO” type of store, and invited us to spend Christmas with them! Miriam offered to be a tour guide for Andrea in Haßfurt over their vacation and to teach her how to make Lebkuchen (our favorite German cookie!!). Dagmar and Miriam have also offered to take Andrea to Bamberg one day over break to go shopping!


During our “Germlish” conversations we are learning more about the German language. In showing the Shöbers our house, we hear a lot of “schmutt,” “spritzer,” and “kaput.” Who knew they were real words!!!


Our new German vocabulary also includes “noch nicht” (not yet), “immer” (always), “Christbaum” (Christmas tree), und “Christbaumkugel” (Christmas tree ball). But Romas’ favorite by far is “Scheiße” (shit), which he uses at every opportunity!!


We are so excited to have met such kind and helpful people. We could have been lonely and isolated, but instead we have visitors all the time! Even Mimi (their cat) has come into our backyard for a visit. She was shocked to see Inmate staring at her through the door! She’s one visitor who may not be back anytime soon!


*A few language differences: Germans capitalize EVERY noun no matter when it occurs in a sentence. They also combine words to make one big word when it can be used as a phrase to describe or name something (ex. Christbaumkugel und Feuerzangenbowle, to name only a few!) They also use the character “ß” instead of “ss”, “ä” instead of ae, “ö” instead of oe, and “ü” instead of ue.



Advertisement



Tot: 0.342s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0566s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb